Baramulla District, Jammu Kasmir is one of the 22 districts in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. Baramulla city is the administrative headquarters of this district. The district covered an area of 4190 km² in 2001 but it was reduced to 3,353 km² at the time of 2011 census.
All about the Baramulla District, Jammu Kasmir
The city of Baramulla, from which the district derives its name, was founded by Raja Bhimsina in 2306 BCE.
A number of prominent visitors have travelled to Baramulla. These include the famous Chinese visitor Heiun T’Sang and the British historian, Moorcraft. Mughal emperors had special fascination for Baramulla. Being the gateway of the Kashmir Valley, Baramulla was a halting station for them during their visits to the valley. Jahangir also stayed at Baramulla during his visit to Kashmir in 1620 CE.
From the very beginning, Baramulla has enjoyed religious importance. The construction of Hindu Teerth and Buddhist Vihars made the city scared to Hindus as well as Buddhists. In the 15th century, the place became important to Muslims also, as the famous Muslim saint, Syed Janbaz Wali, who visited the valley along with his companions in 1421 CE, chose Baramulla as the centre of his mission and was buried here after death. His shrine attracts pilgrims from all over the Valley. In 1894, the sixth Sikh Guru Shri Hargobind visited the city. Baramulla thus became an abode of Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists and Sikhs living in harmony and contributing to a rich composite culture.
It was the oldest and the most important town in north of princely state of Kashmir and Jammu and the ‘Gateway of Kashmir Valley’ by Rawalpindi-Murree-Muzaffarabad-Baramulla Road until 27 October 1947. It became a part of Union of India when the Maharaja signed the contentious instrument of accession on 26 October 1947 which was accepted the next day.
Geography about Baramulla District, Jammu Kasmir:
The district is spread from Srinagar district and Ganderbal district in the east to the line of control in the west and from Kupwara district in the north and Bandipore district in the northwest to Poonch district in the south and Badgam district in the southwest.
Baramulla city is located on the banks of Jhelum river at the highest point of the river. The old town lies on the north (right) bank of the river and the new town lies on the south (left) bank. They are connected by five bridges including a suspension bridge connecting Gulnar park with Dewan Bagh. Five more bridges are being constructed or planned. A new bridge will connect Khanpora and Drangbal areas of the City.
Baramulla district is the largest producer of horticulture products in the state. World-class apples are grown here.
places of interest at Baramulla District, Jammu Kasmir :
Gulmarg village (literally Meadow of Flowers) is a hill station in Baramula district and famous for its skiing slopes at 2,730 m (8,957 ft). It has a cable car for reaching the start of the skiing slope. Gulmarg can be accessed from Srinagar, 50 km (31 mi) to the east.
Some other tourism attractions in Baramulla district are: Tangmarg between Srinagar and Gulmarg, fresh-water lake Wular Lake 60 km (37 mi) from Srinagar; Manasbal Lake (32 km from Srinagar), a bird watching paradise; Manimarg; Vijimarg and Mahalishamarg.
Eco Park, Khadniyar, Baramulla is located at the island in the middle of Jhelum river on the road from Baramulla town to Uri. It is approached by a wooden bridge. In has been recently developed by J&K Tourism Development Corporation with a blend of modern substructure and natural exquisiteness. It offers a great view with mountains in the background, Jhelum river flowing along the island and lush green well-maintained garden with some beautifully designed wooden huts. It is one of the best places to visit in the Baramulla and is a famous destination of locals particularly in summer evenings. Some tourists also visit it. A cable car project and expansion of the existing eco park have been planned.
The commonly used language is Kashmiri, followed by Gujari, Hindi, and Punjabi.