Jalore District is a district of Rajasthan state in western India. The city of Jalore is the administrative headquarters of the district. The district has an area of 10,640 km2 (4,108 sq mi) (3.11 percent of Rajasthan’s area), and a population of 1,448,486 (2001 census), with a population density of 136 persons per square kilometre.
History of Jalore District, Rajasthan
In ancient times Jalore was known as Jabalipura – named after a saint. The town was also known as Suvarngiri or Songir, the Golden Mount, on which the fort stands.
According to some historical sources, in 8th-9th centuries, one branch of the Gurjara Pratiharas was ruling at Jablipur (Jalore).
It was a flourishing town in the 8th century. Jalore was ruled by the Paramaras in the 10th century. Kirtipala, the youngest son of Alhana, ruler of Nadol, was the founder of the Jalore line of Chauhans. He captured it from the Parmars in 1181 and took the clan name Songara, after the place. His son Samarsimha succeeded him in 1182. Udayasimha was the next ruler under whom Jalore had a golden period. He was a powerful and able ruler ruling over a large area. He recaptured Nadol & Mandor from the Muslims. In 1228, Iltutmish circled Jalore but Udayasimha offered stiff resistance. He was succeeded by Chachigadeva & Samantasimha. Samantasimha was succeeded by his son Kanhadadeva.
During the reign of Kanhad Dev Songara, Jalor was attacked and destroyed in 1311 by Ala ud din Khilji, Sultan of Delhi. Kanhad Dev Songara and his son Viramdeo Songira died defending Jalore. The Muslim rulers of Palanpur State of Gujarat briefly ruled Jalor in the 16th century and it became part of the Mughal Empire. It was restored to Marwar in 1704, and remained part of the kingdom until shortly after Indian Independence in 1947.
Visitor attractions of Jalore District, Rajasthan
One of the most important structures within the town is the Topekhana or “the cannon foundry”. The building is not in the best of conditions now, but its architecture indicates that this structure must have been awesome in the old days. It was built by “Ujjain King” Vkramditya as a “sansrut Pathshala” for education for his public.But at the time of Muslin Emperor Ala ud din Khilji converted into a Muslim monument. The structure is imposing, with a spacious forecourt and an intricate facade. The colonnade and the ceiling are tastefully carved.
-Malik Shah’s mosque
-Sire Mandir at Jalore
-Jain temples built in the 8th century, dedicated to the first Tirthankara of Jainism, Rishabha, the 16th Tirthankara, Shantinath, the 23rd Tirthankara, Parsva and the 24th Tirthankara, Mahavira,
-Derasars of Rishabha, Munisuvrata, Acharya Rajendrasuri and Neminath
-Kailashdham at Bishangarh with huge statue of lord Shiva.
About Jalore District, Rajasthan
Jalore was the hometown of Jeevant Kunwar, mother of Maharana Pratap (1572–1597). She was the daughter of Akhey Raj Songara. Rathore rulers of Jodhpur used the Jalore fort to safe-keep their treasure.