Jhalawar district is one of the 33 districts of Rajasthan state in western India. The district is bounded on the northwest by Kota
district, on the northeast by Baran district, on the east by Guna district of Madhya Pradesh state, on the south by Rajgarh and Shajapur districts of Madhya
Pradesh state and on the west by Ratlam, Mandsaur and Nimach districts of Madhya Pradesh state. The district occupies an area of 6928 km². The district is
part of Kota division. The historical city of Jhalawar is the administrative headquarters of the district.
The city of Jhalawar was founded by a Rajput Jhala Zalim Singh, who was the then Dewan of Kota State (1791 A.D.). He established this
township, then known as Chaoni Umedpura, as a cantonment. The township was at the time surrounded by dense forests and wildlife.
Jhala Zalim Singh often came here for hunting and he liked the place so much that he wanted to develop it as a township. The objective to
develop this place as a military cantonment was due to the fact that Maratha invaders passed through this central place from Malwa towards Kota to capture
Jhala Zalim Singh recognized the importance of this place and started to develop it as a military cantonment and township, so that he
could use this place to attack and stop Maratha invaders before they can reach to Kota State. Chaoni Umedpura got developed as a cantonment and township
around 1803-04 A.D. Colonel Todd, who visited the region in December, 1821 described this area as the cantonment established by Jhala Zalim Singh plus a
well-established township with large houses, havelis, and surrounding walls.
In 1838 A.D., English rulers separated Jhalawar state from Kota state and gave it to Jhala Madan Singh, the grandson of Jhala Zalim
Singh. He developed his administration services to develop the state of Jhalawar. He resided in Jhalara Patan for a long time and started to build The Garh
Palace (1840 – 1845 A.D). He was the first ruler of Jhalawar state and made a significant contribution in the history of Jhalawar. Jhala Madan Singh ruled
Jhalawar from 1838 to 1845. After his death, Jhala Prithvi Singh became the ruler of Jhalawar, and ruled for around 30 years.
Rana Bhawani Singh Ji, who ruled Jhalawar state from 1899 to 1929 A.D., did remarkable work in the development of Jhalawar state. His
active involvement was in the fields of social activities, public works (construction), education and administration.
The chief town of Jhalawar, also known as Patan or Jhalara Patan was the centre of trade for the eponymous princely state, the chief
exports of the which were opium, oil-seeds and cotton. The palace is four miles (6 km) north of the town. An extensive ruin near the town is the site of the
ancient city of Chandrawati, said to have been destroyed in the reign of Aurangzeb. The finest feature of its remains is the temple of Sitaleswar Mahadeva
Successors for Maharana of Jhalawar State
-Sh. Madan Singh, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1838–1845)
-Sh. Pirthi Singh, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1845–1875)
-Sh. Bakht or Zalim Singh, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1875–1897)
-HH Sh. Bhawani Singh, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1897–1929)
-HH Sh. Rajendra Singh, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1929–1943)
-HH Sh. Harish Chandra, Maharaja Rana of Jhalawar (1943-till merger of Jhalawar State in Rajasthan.)
Places to see
-Jhalawar fort (Garh Palace)
-Thermal power Station
Temples nearby jhalawar
-Rata devi mandir: distance 30 km
-Modi Ki Jhar (Shiv temple), Near Joonakhera: 3000 bc distance 30 km
-Chandkheri jain temple, khanpur
-Khamkheda Mandir, Near Aklera : Distance 50 km
-Sun temple, jhalrapatan
The 11th/12th-century sun temple of Jhalprapatan is situated in the centre of the town. The temple is intact and divided into sanctum,
bestibule, prayer hall, entrance. The most significant part of the temple is its big spire. The temple is adorned with several sculptures of gods and
goddesses and floral designs both from inside and outside of the pillars of the prayer hall are beautifully carved and decorated with sculptures. The temple
has three sides entrance and every entrance has a toran over it. The Santum in plain and simple. The outer walls of the sanctum displays the icons of
Dikpalas surya, sur-sundris. Ganesh and other miniature scens related to life of the people. At present the image of god “Padmnabh” of 19th century is under
worship and kept in the sanctum. Some time in the 19th century the roof of the prayer hall was repaired and got constructed a few centopahs in Rajput
Architectural style. The images of saints and monkeys were also installed on the roof.
-Shri 1008 Shantinath Digambar Jain temple, Jhalrapatan