Rajsamand District is a district of the state of Rajasthan in western India.
The town of Rajsamand is the district headquarters. The city and district are named for Rajsamand Lake, an artificial lake created in the 17th century by Rana Raj Singh of Mewar. The district had been constituted on 10 April 1991 from Udaipur district.
Geography of Rajsamand District, Rajasthan
The district has an area of 4,768 km². The Aravalli Range forms the northwestern boundary of the district, across which lies Pali District. Ajmer District lies to the north, Bhilwara District to the northeast and east, Chittorgarh District to the southeast, and Udaipur District to the south. The district lies in the watershed of the Banas River and its tributaries. Some other rivers are: Ari, Gomati, Chandra and Bhoga.
Economy of Rajsamand District, Rajasthan
Although most of the economy of Rajasthan is based on agriculture, this part of the state is rich in mineral resources. The area is one of the prime Indian suppliers of marble, granite and other valuable varieties of stone. The Dariba and Jawar mines are the principal Indian sources of ores for zinc, silver, manganese, etc. Majority of the population is engaged in organised and unorganised mining-related works. People are also engaged in tyre and tobacco factories established here
Places to see at Rajsamand District, Rajasthan
Only 2 km. West of Haldi Ghati, lies the tomb of Chetak. After being seriously wounded and loosing a leg in the fierce battle of Haldi Ghati, Chetak dutifully carried his master, Maharana Pratap, safely to this place and at last after crossing a stream, fell dead. Here stands a monument constructed and dedicated to the memory of this royal steed. Adjacent to the tomb, there is a temple of Lord Shiva. It appears that the Great Animal “Chetak” lies here in eternal sleep at the feet of his lord ‘Pashupatinath’.
Deogarh Mahal is an imposing structure built in the 17th century. It stands atop a hill and offers a commanding view of the Aravalli mountain range and the numerous lakes, strewn across the countryside. With its greying battlements, domes, turrets, jharokhas and huge gateways, it is a picturesque sight from the town below. Built in 1670 A.D. by Rawat Dwarka Dasji as a family residence, it soon became the hub of village activity.
Haldi Ghati(The Yellow Vale)
The extensive terra firma, towards the south west of Nathdwara, this historical site witnessed the great legendry battle fought between Maharana Pratap and the Mughal Emperor -Akbar in 1576 AD. See Your AD Here The vast terrain that was supposedly covered with blood (the sand turned Red in colour) evokes a chill in the spine till date and envelopes a feel of nostalgia, this was the place where the heroic Chetak the gallant charger with his dedicated loyalty towards his chivalrous master (the Maharana Pratap) proved his worth by co-operating till his last breath.
A ‘Chhatri’ with delicate white marble is dedicated both to the indomitable hero and his loyal charger, is note worthy. A jeep drive to this place is rather interesting.A village near Haldi Ghati famous for its red pottery.
Kumbhalgarh is the second most important citadel after Chittorgarh in the Mewar region. Cradled in the Aravali Ranges the fort was built in the 15th century by Rana Kumbha. Because of its inaccessibility and hostile topography the fort had remained un-conquered. It also served the rulers of Mewar as a refuge in times of strife. The fort also served as refuge to the baby king Udai of Mewar. It is also of sentimental significance as it is the birthplace of Mewar’s legendary King Maharana Partap. The fort is self-contained and has within its amalgam almost everything to withstand a long siege. The fort fell only once that too to the combined armies of Mughal and of Amber for scarcity of drinking water. Many magnificent palaces an array of temples built by the Mauryas of which the most picturesque place is the Badal Mahal or the palace of the clouds.The fort also offers a superb birds view of the surroundings. The fort’s thick wall stretches some 36 kms and is wide enough to take eight horses abreast. Maharana Fateh Singh renovated the fort in the 19th century. The fort’s large compound has very interesting ruins and the walk around it can be very rewarding.
Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary
A 15th-century fortress, built by Rana Kumbha of Mewar, with 36 kilometres of walls. Over 360 temples are within the fort. It also has a wildlife sanctuary. Located in Rajsamand District, 64 km from Udaipur. The vista from the top of the palace typically extends tens of kilometers into the Aravalli hills.
It takes its name after the historic fort of Kumbhalgarh, which comes into view over the Park. It is 578 km in area and at an altitude of 500 to 1,300 metres. It is home to a very large variety of wildlife, some of which are highly endangered species. The wildlife includes wolf, leopards, sloth bear, hyena, jackal, jungle cat, smabhar, nilgai, chaisingh (the four horned antelope), chinkara, and hare.
Rajsamand (Kankroli) Temple
Kankroli is mainly known for its temple, which is sited on the banks of renowned Rajsamand Lake. Kankroli Temple is popularly called as temple of Dwarikadhish. Dwarikadhish is one of the names of Lord Krishna. This Temple is the most significant temple of the Vaishnavas and Vallabhacharya sect. The chief deity of Kankroli temple is believed to have imported from Mathura, the hometown of Lord Krishna.
Kankroli temple is the biggest temple of Lord Dwarikadhish in Kankroli and ranks very high among all the temples of Vallabhacharya. Dwarkadheesh Temple offers a tranquil view of the cool and calm Rajsamand Lake. Every year, people in large numbers come to visit this temple from all over India. If you are visiting Udaipur, you must visit this temple of Dwarikadhish, to receive the blessings of Lord Dwarikadhish.
Rajsamand Lake, Rajsamand District, Rajasthan
Rajsamand or the royal lake is one of the numerous artificial lakes found in the Mewar region and was built by Rana Raj Singh I in the 1660s. The lake is a large one, 4 miles long and 1.75 miles wide. It has a huge embankment (bund) that is over 1100ft long and 40ft high with several decorative arches and pavilions built by Raj Singh. The Gomti River flows into it, ensuring that it never remains dry. The Nauchowki (nine pavilions) stands mute next to the calm and serene Rajsamand. The white marble steps down to the lake date back to the 17th century when Maharani Roopmati had them made to show her gratitude to her husband Maharana Raj Singh I.
Raj Singh had saved her from the hands of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb (see Rana Raj Singh I in History for more details.) 27 stone slabs carved in the 17th century bear the longest Sanskrit inscription known in India. The slabs, known as Raj Prahasti, mention the history of the State of Mewar in a verse of 1017 stanzas.
Maharana Raj Singh an able administrator of the fifth generation of Maharana Pratap constructed Rajsamand lake in 1662 AD, which is a beautiful example of sculpture and public utility works. The banks known as “Nouchoki” consist of 25 carved stone ‘RAJ PRASHASHTI’ the longest stone inscription in Sanskrit in the world. The stairs, footrest, artistic gates and “Mandaps” are made of beautiful carved marble and the sculpture imparts a new look every time The whole construction is based on the number 9 which is considered to be the absolute number in Hindu philosophy and mythology. It took 14 years for completion and cost more than 12.5 million rupees at that time.