ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Gurdaspur District,Punjab

Gurdaspur is a city in the state of Punjab, situated in the northwest part of the Republic of India, between the rivers Beas and Raavi, 10 km from the international border between India and Pakistan. It houses the administrative headquarters of Gurdaspur District and is in the geographical center of the district, being situated on the Amritsar – Jammu National Highway, 36 km from Pathankot and 32 km from Batala. Head offices of all district departments are located in Batala and Gurdaspur.

Gurdaspur city was named after Mahant Guriya das ji.The Emperor Akbar was crowned at Kalanaur, which is 26 km from the city. Behrampur town, where the Maqbara (mausoleum) of Bairam Khan is situated, is 10 km away. Dinanagar town, which was the capital of the kingdom of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, is 12 km away. The well-known woolen mill located in Dhariwal, is also 12 km from the city.

History of Gurdaspur District,Punjab

Gurdaspur, a major city of Punjab, was founded by Guriyaji Mahant in the 17th century. The place forms the northernmost part of the state. Resting within Jalandhar division, and flanked by the rivers Beas and Ravi, it shares its boundary with the districts of Hoshiarpur, Kapurthala, Amritsar and Pathankot.

Guriyaji laid the foundation of the city on land that he had bought from the Jats. Almost no evidence of the ancient history of the place is available, so not much is known about it. For a long period it was under the rule of the Shahi dynasty. A ruler named Jasrath Khokhar was defeated by Malik Sikander. With the fall of the Mughal Empire, the city came under the supremacy of the Sikh gurus. The place is linked to many eminent Sikh Gurus including Guru Gobind Singh, Guru Hargobind and Guru Nanak Dev. Maharaja Ranjit Singh made it one of his strongholds. After partition, a major portion of the city was ceded to India.

Seven kilometers to the west of the city, is Gurdas Nangal, a holy place linked to the heroic battle of Banda Bahadur with the Mughal armies. A gurudwara, a place of worship, whose entrance has an inscription describing the famous battle, is located here. It lies 10 kilometers from the city and was the site of a great massacre of Sikhs in 1746.

During the Misl period, Gurdaspur remained the centre of activity of Kanheya Misl and Ramgharia Misl. Maharaja Ranjit Singh conquered Ramgharia Misl in 1808, and Kanheya Misl in 1811, so they became a part of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s empire.

The British East India Company annexed Punjab on 29 March 1849, after the second Anglo-Sikh war of 1839-49. After annexation, a need arose for recognition of districts for administrative purpose. As a result, Gurdaspur district was formed on 1 May 1852. The district of Adinanagar was renamed to Gurdaspur. So, from a tiny village, Gurdaspur became a district headquarters.

The mutiny of 1857 also affected Gurdaspur. The mutineers from Sialkot proceeded towards Gurdaspur. The British forces intercepted these mutineers at Trimmo Patan and defeated them in the battle of Trimmo Patan (12–16 July 1857). The prisoners were hanged in Bole Wala Bagh, situated behind Government College Gurdaspur.