Sundergarh District, also spelled Sundergarh District,is a district in the northwestern part of Odisha state in eastern India. Sundergarh district is bound by Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh in the west, Jashpur district of Chhattisgarh in the North-West, Simdega district of Jharkhand in the North, West Singhbhum district of Jharkhand and Keonjhar district of Odisha in the east and Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Deogarh and Angul districts of Odisha in the South. The town of Sundergarh is the district headquarters.
History of Sundergarh District,Odisha
Two princely States of Gangpur and Bonaigarh constitute the present district of Sundergarh, consequent upon merger of the princely States on 1 January 1948. It is understood that, in ancient times, this district was under the rulers of South Kosala. However, divergent views are available regarding the origin of the ruling family. Bonaigarh was known as Bonai Mandala and was ruled by Mayura dynasty as a feudetory of Bhoumakara dynasty of Utkala. The present royal family of Gangpur belongs to the Parmar dynasty and Bonaigarh belongs to Kadamba dynasty. These ex-states were under the suzerainty of Sambalpur which formed part of the dominion of the Maratha Rajas of Nagpur. They were ceded to the British Government in 1803 by the Maratha Chief Raghuji Bhonsla of Nagpur under the treaty of Deogaon(near Rourkela). But they were restored to him by special engagement in 1806. They were finally ceded in 1826. In 1905, these two princly states were transferred from the control of the Commissioner of Chhotanagur to that of Odisha Division and a separate Political Agent was appointed.
The district is currently a part of the Red Corridor.
Tourist Places in Sundergarh District,Odisha