Kaimur district is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar state, India. The district headquarters are located at Bhabua. Before 1991, it was part of Rohtas District, Bihar.
The district occupies an area of 3363 km² and has a population of 1,626,384 (as of 2011) with the rank of 307th in the country. The district has a Literacy rate of 69.34% (392nd in the country). Kaimur district is a part of Patna division. It is the westernmost district of Bihar, western point of Bihar called Chand is situated on the Bhabua-Chandauli road. The district has 18 Colleges, 58 High Schools, 146 Middle Schools and 763 Primary Schools. The district has a total no. of 1699 villages. The district also has 120 Post Offices and 151 Panchayats.
Kaimur has an old and interesting history. In pre-historic days the plateau region of the district has been the abode of the aboriginals whose chief representatives now are the Bhars, the Cheros and the Savers. According to some legends, the Kharwar were the original settlers in the hilly tracts of Rohtas. The Ovaons also claim that they ruled over the stretch falling between Rohtas and Patna. One local legend also connects Sasaram the present headquarters of Rohtas with king Sahasrarjun, who was killed by Saint Parshuram in a fight.
The district of Kaimur formed part of the mighty Magadh Empire from the 6th century B.C. to the 5th century A.D., under the Mauryan Empire and Gupta rulers of Magadh. In the 7th century A.D., this district came under the control of Harshwardhan, the ruler of Kannauj. An inscription in the Mundeshwari temple near Bhabua refers to the King Udaysena as the ruling chief of the area.
The Seal of King Sasanka of Guada in Bengal is inscribed at Rohtasgarh in the district of Rohtas. The famous Chinese pilgrim Huen- tang, who journeyed through the country in the 7th century A.D., passed through Arrah, the headquarters of the old Shahabad district through this region of newly formed Kaimur district. The area of the district successively came under the rulers of Shail dynasty of Central India and Pal dynasty of Bengal.
According to C. Mark, a historian, the first ruler of Pal dynasty controlled this region. Later on Chandauli controlled Varanasi-Chandawali and also the Kaimur district in the 12th century, as confirmed by the Tarachandi inscription near Sasaram.
After the fall of the Guptas the district in all probability relapsed into the hands of the aboriginal tribes and came under the control of petty chieftains. The Rajputs who came from Ujjain and the province of Malwa had a series of conflicts with the aboriginals and it took them many hundred years to subdue the aboriginal completely.
The Census report of 1961 describes that when Bakhtiar Khiliji attacked Bihar in 1193 A.D. He found Shahabad in the hands of petty Rajput chiefs often fighting among themselves. They were not united and strong enough to offer powerful resistance to the Muslim invaders. Hence Bakhtiyar Khiliji had an easy victory over them and the district soon became a part of his kingdom. Later it was annexed, along with the rest of Bihar, to the kingdom of Jaunpur. A hundred years later, it passed under the direct control of the Muslim empire of Delhi.
Sher Shah’s father, Hassan Khan Sur, got the Jagir of Sasaram. Later Baber invaded the area in 1529 and has mentioned Hindu superstitions about river Karmanasha. In 1537 the old Shahabad district witnessed advancement of Humayun and his subsequent conflict with Sher Shah at Chausa. Later the district of Shahabad which includes present Kaimur district also was included in Akbar’s empire.
In 1758, Shah Alam during his conflict with Lord Clive of East India Company went to Durgawati and with the help of local Zamindar Pahalwan Singh crossed the Karmanasha River. Subsequently Pahalwan Singh succumbed to comply and live on the latter’s terms.
In 1764, the old Shahabad district witnessed conflict for supremacy and the English became absolute masters of the area after defeating Siraj-ud-daula in the battle of Buxar. Again the area was shaken by the rebellion of Raja Chait Singh of Banaras but eventually the English succeeded in suppressing the revolt.
Lastly the historic 1857 mutiny under command of Kunwar Singh had its impact in the district. As a result, during the independence movement the district had a substantial contribution to the freedom of India. Much after independence in the year 1972 Rohtas district was formed out of the old Shahabad district and in the year 1991. The present Kaimur district was formed out of the Rohtas district.
Places to See in Kaimur
Maa Mundeshwari Temple
Maa Mundeshwari Temple is a very old and popular place of Bhabhua. Located on hills of Kaimur, the temple has a historical importance.
The city of Kaimur has a glorious history and exhibits a true coherence of the Mughal and Hindu dynasties. The historic monuments and ancient temples, that form tourist attractions of the city, serve as an evidence of its rich past. If you are planning a visit Kaimur, the top priority will go to the magnificent temples that the city so often boasts of. Apart from that, there are numerous other places of interest in Kaimur. In the following lines, we have provided information to make you well equipped with the must see places in Kaimur.
Akhlaspur – largest village in Bhabua district with 14 ward. Akhlaspur was also known as KHALASPUR. Baba Ji pokhra and sabari ka mandir temple is a very famous site of bhabua. The village is situated at the middle both river surwara and kuknahiya river.Dr.Pramod kumar singh the MLA of bhabua assembly belonging from this village. The GANDHI KUSTH NIWARAN OF BHABUA establist by the freedom fighter Lt. laxami singh.Many school which is running on the land is donated by the people belong to this village.it has one intermediate school,two high school,three middle schooland more than three primary school.it has highest education level in whole district.it is also known as the “addars gram”. Mokari :- Mokari have a famous of Shri Gosgir baba Temple near the Patahar.This Village is poor for Education but famous for quality of Rice.
‘KAMATA: Kamata village is situated 6 km north to the bhabua town. The village is the home of famous Patariha dih Baba brahm (In bhojpuri known as baram baba).OLD shiv mandir, purab pokhra mandir, Mahabir mandir & Kali mandir are famous temple of this village. there are four schools in this village, DELHI PUBLIC SCHOOL,Sri Ram Bal Viddyalay & Government middle school& aganwadi. This village is role model of self sustainable village. There are two public ponds, known as east pond & west pond, both are used for fishery & water resource. Income from these ponds are used for village development work. Population of the village is nearly two thousand five hundred Per hectare. income of the farmer of the village is very high compare to other village of this district, Yuva morcha of the village organized many function on the occasion of holi, Durgapooja, Sarswati puja, etc.
Baidyanath Village is situated 9 km to the south of Ramgarh block headquarters. The village is home to a Lord Shiva temple that was built by the rulers of Pratihar dynasty. Numerous coins and others valuables of historical importance have been discovered here. According to archeologists, the temple was renovated in 812-13 AD. Today, it serves as a major tourist attraction for those who visit Kaimur.
Durauli is a village situated 8 km to the north-east region of Ramgarh. The place bears its significance from the existence of two old temples that were built by the Cheros. Both the temples have been decorated with beautiful sculptures, carved on the spire.
Ramgarh village, situated in the Bhagwanpur block in Bhabua Subdivision, boasts of the famous Mundeshwari temple. It is one of the oldest temples in the state. Inscriptions of archeological importance that have been found here, describing the temple build as far back as 635 A.D. The temple is built on a hilltop that rises to a height of about 600 feet.
Chorghatia village is situated in Adhaura block. It comes across as an outstanding beauty spot, with a waterfall amidst picturesque scenery. The natural beauty of the place attracts many visitors from far and wide.
Chainpur is situated 11 km to the west of Bhabua headquarters. It is known for housing the mausoleum of Bakhtiar Khan (Bakhtiar khilji as mentioned in the History), who is said to have married the daughter of Sher Shah. The fort at Chainpur is also a place worth visiting. Then, there is the Hindu shrine of “Harsu Brahm”. It is believed that a Kanyakubjya priest named Harshu Pandey, under the reign of Raja Shaliwahan, ended his life in protest against demolition of his house. Later, a temple was built to commemorate him.
Bhagwanpur lies 11 km to the south of Bhabua, near the Kaimur hills. It is said to have been the seat of power of Kumar Chandrasen Saran Singh, who claimed his descent from Paras. Raja Shaliwahan annexed Bhagwanpur, overthrowing but Sher Shah.
Adhaura is situated at a distance of 58 km from Bhabua. It lies on the Kaimur plateau, at an altitude of approximately 2000 feet from the sea level. Situated amidst hills, covered by lush green forests, Adhaura is a place that definitely merits a visit from the tourists.
Chand is a main centre of Bhabhua District because the chand is situated on U.P & Bihar border. The chand has a historical background Mahtma Budha stay here about 265 days in Ghurahupur. A Bageshwari Devi temple is very famous of this area.
Dabadhiya is situated at 10 km distance of bhabua district.there is an old shiva mandir west side of village. There is a government shop and middle school. There is both side of the village.
Bhekash is situated at 3 km distance of bhabua district. this village mainly belongs to rajputs and Brahmin. there is an old shiva mandir outside the village.the village is situated at the bank of surwara river.
Marichawn is situated at 11 km distance of bhabua district and 10 km(apprx) of mohania.here surwara river and kuknahia river meet each other.it is said that the name of marichawn is given at the name of great saints marich. Sidhanath temple(Ratan Puri Baba) This is a famous Shiv temple established by Saint Ratanpuri Baba who was the disciples of great sage baba Gorakhnath, situated near to village Bararura at bank of river Karmanasa. Residents of Village Baraura having great faith on this temple and Baba Sidhanath is resident god of Village.