ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Erode district,Tamilnadu

Erode is a city in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Erode is the seventh largest urban agglomeration in Tamil Nadu and is the administrative headquarters of Erode District. Located on the banks of River Kaveri, it was part of historical Kongu Nadu and has been ruled at different times by the Cheras, Early Pandyas, Medieval Cholas, Later Cholas, Vijayanagar Empire, Madurai Nayaks, kingdom of Mysore, Carnatic kingdom and the British. It is situated at the center of the South Indian Peninsula, about 400 kilometres (249 mi) southwest of the state capital Chennai and about 80 kilometres (50 mi) east of Coimbatore.

Erode is an agricultural and textile hub. It is one of the largest producers of turmeric in India and is a major producer of hand-loom and knitwear. Erode is a part of the Erode Lok Sabha constituency that elects its member of parliament. The city is administered by a municipal corporation which was established in 2009.

History

Erode region formed a part of the historical Kongu Nadu region ruled by Cheras. After the Sangam age, most of present-day Tamil Nadu came under the rule of the Kalabhras who were ousted by the Pandyas around 590 CE. It was later captured by Rashtrakutas who were subsequently defeated by the Cholas around 10th century CE. The city remained under the control of the Cholas until the early 13th century, when the second Pandyan empire was established with Madurai as its capital. After the death of Kulasekara Pandian in 1308 CE, Erode briefly came under the rule of the Delhi Sultanate until its annexation by the Vijayanagar Empire in 1378 CE. The region became independent from Vijayanagar in 1559 CE under the Madurai Nayaks who were defeated by Hyder Ali in 1736 CE. Consequent to the fall of Tipu Sultan of Mysore in 1799, the region came under the direct control of the British East India Company who restored the power to the Maharaja of Mysore. It remained under British rule until the Indian independence in 1947.

Places of interest

The city is built around a demolished fort, which includes a temple for Arudra Kabaleeswar (Shiva) praising the Saiva concept and another for Kasthuri Ranganatha Perumal (Vishnu) praising the Vaishnava concept of Hinduism. Thindal Murugan Temple, situated 6 km (3.7 mi) from the city is the most prominent temple in the city. Periya Mariamman Temple, Natadreeswarar Temple, the hillock temple is situated in the centre of the Kaveri river between Kudagu (origin) and Poompuhar, Sangameswarar Temple, CSI Brough Church, Thowheeth mosque, Ravlathul Janna mosque, Bazaar Mosque and Jamia Pallivasal are some of the prominent religious destinations in the city. E.V.R Corporation Museum and Thanthai Periyar Memorial House, a sociological museum, which depicts the life history of Periyar E. V. Ramasamy are the prominent museums in the city. Jain Temples at Vijayapuri and Avalpoondurai, Sankagiri Fort and Vellode Birds Sanctuary are other visitor attractions around the city.

Notable People

  • P. K. Gopal, social worker and philanthropist
  • Srinivasa Ramanujan, mathematical prodigy and autodidact
  • Periyar E.V. Ramasamy, social activist and politician
  • Sundar C, director and actor