ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Hathras district,Uttar Pradesh

Hathras is a city and a municipal board in Hathras district (formerly Mahamaya Nagar district) in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the headquarters of the district that was created on 3 May 1997 by incorporating parts of: Aligarh, Mathura, Agra Districts, and Khair Tehsil. It forms a part of Aligarh Division. Mahamaya Nagar district was renamed Hathras in July 2012.

Hathras blies within the Braj region in Central or Middle Doab, and is associated with the epic Mahabharata and Hindu theology. The principal spoken language is Hindi. Its dialect, Braj Bhasha, which is closely related to Khariboli, is spoken in this region.

History

No documentary proof is available indicating when the town was built and who populated it. The Jat, Kushan, the Gupta, Varshney, Rajput, and Maratha rulers ruled the region. In 1716 CE, the Jat ruler Raja Nandram’s son, Bhoj Singh, took over the rule of Hathras from the Rajput rulers. After Bhoj Singh, his son Sadan Singh became the ruler of Hathras, followed by his son Bhoori Singh. It is believed that during the reign of Bhoori Singh the temple of the Lord Balarama was built within the Hathras fort. At the end of the 18th century the kingdom was held by Indrajeet Singh Thainua, whose ruined fort (Qila) still stands at the east end of the town. The railway station is named Hathras Qila meaning Hathras Fort. The region was annexed by the British in 1803, but insubordination on the part of the chief necessitated a siege of the fort in 1817. Every year Lakkhi mela is celebrated on Dev Chatt at the Lord Balram Temple popularly known as Dau Baba. The history of Hathras begins after Shri Bhoori Singh when his son Raja Dayaram was crowned in 1775 CE. In 1784 Scindia ruler Madhavrao I Scindia established his regime in the Hathras area.

Archaeological remains of Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain culture as well as items from the Shung and Kushan periods were found at many locations in Hathras. Among the archaeological and historical items found are: the fort of Raja Dayaram from the Maurya period located in Hathras town, a 2nd century B.C. brown coloured pot, and Sapt Matrikafalam, a Kushan period clay statue. Veereshwar Mahadev is among the notable old temples in the area. Remains of objects the periods when Shaiv rulers and Naag Rajas dominated the area have been located in numerous, scattered locations. During the period of Nagavanshi Kshatriya Clan Rulers: Nairs Seshavtara lord Balram Ji was of great importance and his temples can be found in the region. Old broken statues which have great archeological value are still worshiped in the Braj region. The archeological remains and statues discovered here are kept in the Mathura Museum. The Jain Temple at Nayaganj tells the story of Jain Culture. Samvat 1548 “Vi.” is written on the oldest statues here. More historical objects have been uncovered under the remains of Sikandra Rao, Maho, and Sasni, among others. Remains of statues from the Buddhist period were scattered in places like Sahpau, and Lakhnoo; many were collected and kept in the Muthra Museum and Zila Parishad Office in Aligarh. The Bhadra Kali temple of Sahpau also fall under the category of archeological temples. By writing Ghat Ramayana Sant Tulsi Sahab spread the fame of Hathras to faraway places and his disciples gather in the thousands at his grave at Siyal, Kila Gate, Hathras to express their devotion.

There are many other temples in the area including: Bohrey Wali Devi, Gopeshwar Mahadev, at the city station, Chaubey wale Mahadev, Chinta Haran, Masani Devi, Shri Naath Ji Chamunda Maa temple at Chawar Gate, Lord Varah temple at Dibba Gali, and many temples of Lord Balram. Among rural temples, the temple of Lord Dauji Maharaj Ji is very significant. Garhis, Hawelis and forts whose remains still exist belong to old Jamindars. Nawab Mendu and Sadabad, Haweli of Jamindar of Laakhnu, Phaharpur, and Hasayan can also be included in this category.

Baghraya

Located in Hathras District, Baghraya is a large village in the Hathras district about 8 km Hathras Junction to Jalesar road. It is famous for Baba Jaharveer or Gogaji Temple which was constructed on a three acre field by Baba Yogesh Singh and his family. Many people visit on Mondays and Tuesdays. The temple is a prototype of Gogamedi. Thousands of people come to the temple in August for the Fair and to display their faith in Jaharveer Baba. It is also famous for its fifty-one freedom fighters. The population is 99 percent Hindu. Most of the people belong to the Rajput clan.

Hathras Junction Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Baghraya. There are 84 villages of the Rajput Community called Chaurasi. Their inhabitants are well educated and financially well off.

After coming under British rule, Hathras rapidly rose to commercial importance. On 19 October 1875,the first train ran between Hathras Road and Mathura Cantonment. Hathras city is now connected by Broad Gauge railway with Mathura Junction, and by a branch with Hathras junction on the North Eastern line.

While the history of the city dates back to ancient times, it also appears that there was an ancient fort in Hathras at the site of the ruins of the modern day fort.

Hathras played a roll during India’s freedom struggle and is famous for its fifty-one freedom fighters. Raja Mahendra Pratap, Munshi Gajadhar Singh, were among the eminent personalities from Hathras during the freedom struggle.