ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Banda district,Uttar Pradesh

Banda (Hindi: बांदा; Urdu: باندہ‎) is a city and a municipal board in Banda district in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. Banda lies south of the Yamuna river in the Bundelkhand region. It is the administrative headquarters of Banda District. The town is well connected to major cities with railways and state highways. The town is near the right bank of the river Ken, 95 m. S. W. of Allahabad.

Banda is famous for its Shajar stone, used for making jewellery. Banda was a town and district of British India, in the Allahabad division of the United Provinces. The population in 1901 was 22,565. It was formerly, but is no longer, a military cantonment.

History

In 1998, the tehsils of Karwi and Mau, formerly part of Banda District, became the new Chitrakoot District. Banda was a town and district of British India, in the Allahabad division of the United Provinces. The population in 1901 was 22,565. It was formerly, but is no longer, a military cantonment.
Geography

The district largely consists of irregular uplands with outcrops of rocks intermingling with lowlands, which are frequently under water during the rainy season. The Baghein River traverses the district from south-west to north-east. Other important rivers are the Ken River in the east and the Yamuna to the north. The dominant communities of this area are of Kshatriyas, Patels, Chandrauls, Chandelas, Bundelas etc.

Places of interest
The most famous place to visit from the city is ancient Kalinjer Fort which is located south approx from Banda and mentioned in Mahabharata.

There is also a temple on the top of the hill called Khatri Pahar at Shydha, which is located 24 km approx from the city. The temple is dedicated to goddess Angleshwari.

Bhuragarh Fort

Across the river Ken there are ruins of Bhuragarh fort said to be built with brown stones by Raja Guman Singh in the 17th century. This place was important during the freedom struggle. A mela is organised in this place called ‘Natbali Ka Mela’.

Bhuragrah Fort is situated at the bank of Ken river. Seeing the sunset from fort is a beautiful experience. The historical importance of Bhuragarh Fort is related to Bundela reign and Hridaya Shah and Jagat Rai, sons of Maharaja Chattrasal. Kirat Singh, son of Jagat Rai, mended Bhuragarh Fort in 1746 A.D. None Arjun Singh was the caretaker of the fort.

In 1787 A.D., Nawab Ali Bahudur I started looking after the domain Banda. He fought a war against None Arjun Singh in 1792 A.D. Then it came under Nawab’s rule for some time but Rajaram Dauwa and Laxman Dauwa won it again from Nawabs. After the death of None Arjun Singh, Nawab Ali Bahudar took the control of Bhuragarh Fort. Nawab died in 1802 A.D. and Gaurihar Maharaj took the administration after him. The Great Freedom Struggle against British empire started on 14 June 1857. It was led by Nawab Ali Bahadur II in Banda. This struggle was much fierce than expected and revolutionaries from Allahbad, Kanpur and Bihar joined Nawab in fight against Britishers. On 15 June 1857, revolutionaries killed Joint Magistrate Cockrail. On 16 April 1858, Whitluck arrived Banda and he fought against revolutionary army of Banda. About 3000 revolutionaries were killed in the fort during this war. Nuts( one who performs acrobatic feats) from Sarbai sacrificed in this war. Their graves are found inside the fort. Graves are of many revolutionaries are found around fort.

Bamdeveshwar temple

The temple is said to derive its name from Bamdeo Rishi, a sage mentioned in Hindu mythology as a contemporary of Lord Rama. Bamdeo is said to have had his hermitage at the foot of a hill. There is one big[clarification needed] and oldest Shivling is situated in the temple in the kho of Bambeshar Pahar.

Maheshwari Devi Temple

This temple is situated at the middle place of the Banda city. There are many murtis of Devis and Devatas in the temple.

Nawab Tank

Nawab tank, earlier known as the Shankar Sarovar[citation needed], is situated about 3 km south of Banda. This tank was built by the Nawab of Banda, and therefore it is known as Nawab Tank.

Jama-Masjid
one of the oldest mosque in the city.
St. George’s Church (YELLOW CHURCH)

Yellow Church, established in1835 A.D. is the most famous and oldest church of Banda. Rather some records have been found that proved that Christianity was in Banda before 1809 A.D. but Yellow Church is best the symbol of British architecture and religion.
Yellow Church was built by Churches of India (CNI) for regular prayers of Catholic Englishmen and their families living in Banda during early British Period.

From last 170 years, Window Pans which was then imported from Belgium have not been replaced.

During 1857 revolt, no damage was made to the Church. It stands just as it is as it was.
The roof garders of this Church is made up English Cast Iron.

The Rust free 170 years old Windowsw Speaks the tale of fine English metallurgical talent.
The Church is built in Typical Italian Style with Conical Tops and Tall Windows.

Inside the Campus there are three graves of Norwegian Natives of this Church.