Lalitpur District (Hindi: ललितपुर जिला) is one of the districts of Uttar Pradesh state of India. Lalitpur district is a part of Jhansi Division. Lalitpur is the main town and administrative headquarters. The district occupies an area of 5,039 km².
Lalitpur District is a part of Jhansi Division and was carved out as a district in the year 1974. It is connected to Jhansi District by a narrow corridor to the northeast, otherwise almost surrounded by Madhya Pradesh state.
Lalitpur district lies between latitude 24°11′ and 25°14′ (north) and longitude 78°10′ and 79°0′ (east) and is bounded by district Jhansi in the north, districts Sagar and Tikamgarh of Madhya Pradesh state in the east and Ashoknagar district of Madhya Pradesh separated by river Betwa in the west. The district had a population of 977,447 as per the census of year 2001.
This district has a number of historical and cultural places like Devgarh, Seeronji, Pavagiri, Devamata, Neelkantheshwar at Pali, Machkund ki Gufa. Lalitpur town has variety of places like many Hindu & Jain temples. Raghunathji (Bada Mandir), Shivalay, Boodhe Babba (Hanumanji), Tuvan Mandir for Hindus & Bada Mandir, Ata Mandir & Kshetrapalji for Jains are famous temples.
The territory of the present-day Lalitpur district was part of the state of Chanderi, founded in the 17th century by a Bundela Rajput who was descended from Rudra Pratap Singh of Orchha. Chanderi, along with most of Bundelkhand, came under Maratha hegemony in the 18th century. Daulat Rao Sindhia of neighboring Gwalior annexed Chanderi state in 1812. In 1844, the former state of Chanderi was ceded to the British, and became the Chanderi District of British India, with Lalitpur town as the district headquarters. The British lost the district in the Indian Rebellion of 1857, and it was not reconquered until late 1858. In 1861, the portion of the district west of the Betwa, including Chanderi, was returned to Gwalior state, and the remainder was renamed Lalitpur district. It became a part of Jhansi district from 1891 to 1974. In 1974, the district was carved out from Jhansi district.
some tourist places of Lalitpur District
The most important place of utmost importance which has its natural beauty and a religious place of Jain community. A culture of Betwa Valley and the most ancient historical place is situated in the Lalitpur district. On its northern boundary is situated Jhansi district, southern boundary is Sagar district, Eastern boundary is Tikamgarh and Western Boundary is covered Guna district.
Surrounded by Madhya Pradesh on its three sides, Deogarh is a Vindhyachal Valley where the big Betwa river flows. Wild animals are also here. It was a part of Jhansi district upto 1974.
This is 45 kilometers south from Lalitpur and 11 kilometers from Jakhlaun railway station. Between dense forests there is a SHIV Trimurti Temple of Chandel times. Just on its front of the entrance a Param Shiv Trimurti is placed on a huge Kailash (like Elephanta) and near on the ground is a “Mukhling”. Height of Mukhling is 77 centimeters and diameter is 1 feet 30 centimeters.
This place is situated about 4-5 kilometers away from Dhorra on the banks of Betwa River. Just like Pali Trimurti temple here is also a temple where wonderful statues of Vishnu and Laxmi are situated. A very big statue of Hanumanji is also here. Other than these there are remains of some very ancient temples. Some times back there was a very dense forest with wild animals.
Some other places of sight seeing are