ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Pilibhit district,Uttar Pradesh

Pilibhit district is one of the districts in the state of Uttar Pradesh in India, and Pilibhit city is the district headquarters. Pilibhit district is a part of Bareilly Division.The city is famous for its contribution to Bollywood, Urdu literature and its involvement in Politics of India. Pilibhit has produced as many as three song writers for Bollywood namely Anjum Pilibhiti, Akhtar Pilibhiti, and Rafiq Alam. The district has elected eleven central ministers in 14 parliamentary elections. The sitting member of 14th parliament from Pilibhit constituency Smt. Menaka Gandhi is India’s first lady member of parliament, who was elected more than five times from a single constituency.

Due to dense Sikh population in the district, it is also known as Mini Punjab as after Partition of India in 1947, a large number of Sikhs came from Pakistan and Punjab to this area, and government resettled them in the area. The district Pilibhit is also home to thousands of Bengali people, who came here after 1947.

A new Tiger Reserve Area was named Pilibhit Tiger Reserve in September 2008.

History

At the introduction of the British rule, the parganas of Pilibhit, Jahanabad and Bisalpur was formed into separate tehsils. Puranpur was united for this purpose with Khutar. A redistribution of the area was effected in 1824, when the Bisalpur tehsil contained the parganas of Bisalpur and Maurari, which afterward become a single area, Jahanabad was joined with Richha to form tehsil Pareva and Pilibhit with Baheri, the HQ being at Pilibhit. In 1851 Baheri and the other tarai pargana were taken under direct management and in 1863 Richha was attached to the new Baheri tehsil, pargana Jahanabad being assigned to Pilibhit which also received Puranpur on its transfer in 1865. The latter, in 1871, a became subtehsil dependent on Pilibhit. The promotion of Puranpur into a full tehsil occurred in 1879, while Bisalpur throughout remained a separate subdivision. Thus the area is now divided into three tehsils and four parganas. Puranpur and Bisalpur constitute individual tehsils and parganas and the tehsil of Pilibhit comprises the paraganas of Pilibhit and Jahanabad.

Historical facts

It is believed by locals that Pilibhit was ruled by an ancient king named Mayurdhwaj or Moredhwaj or King Venu, a great devotee of lord Krishna and a loyal friend of Arjun. King Venu’s name and the geography of his kingdom can be traced in the Hindu epic Mahabharat.

The city Pilibhit was an administrative unit in the Mughal era under Bareilly suba. For security, the Mughal subedar Ali Mohammed Khan constructed four magnificent gates around the administrative building in 1734 AD. These gates were named Barellwi darwaza at the west, Hussaini darwaza at the east, Jahanabadi darwaza at the north and Dakhini darwaza at the south. Because of a lack of proper maintenance, all the gates have been lost; only their ruins remain.

Pilibhit was invaded by the Marathas in 1772 AD. This was the time when the Kurmi Kshatriya community came into this region. The Marathas were the ancestors of the Kurmi Kshatriya community, one of the major communities in the region.The last king of the Shah dynasty of Doti,Nepal, Prithivipati Shah, was sheltered in Pilibhit by the ruler of Rampur suba Faizullah Khan in 1789 AD, after being attacked by the Gorakha king of Nepal.

The freedom fighter Maulana Enayetulla, from Pilibhit, voluntarily played host to the exiled Queen of Avadh, Begum Hazrat Mahal, who reached Nepal in late 1859.

There is a memorial place at Khakra chouki (today’s Police Center), where 21 freedom fighters were hanged on 14 January 1909, on the day of Makar Sankranti, who refused to follow British government’s order and rebelled against them. In respect for these 21 martyrs, a rock (named All Martyrs) was underpinned in the compound of the police center

Tourism

  • Nawabganj (21km)
  • Chooka beach
  • Pilibhit tiger reserve
  • Bifurcation