ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Bijnor district,Uttar Pradesh

Bijnor is a district of Uttar Pradesh state of India. Bijnor city is the district headquarters. The Uttar Pradesh Government wants Bijnor to be included under National Capital Region (NCR) due to its close distance from Delhi,The demand for inclusion of Bijnor in the NCR has been raised.

History

Little is known of the early history of Bijnor. District Bijnor is related to Mahabharat.There is a Vidur kuti in Bijnor. In the time of Mughal emperor Akbar, Bijnor formed part of the Mughal Empire. However, in the early part of the 18th century, the Rohilla Pashtuns established their independence in the country called by them Rohilkhand; and about 1748 the Rohilla chief Ali Mohammed Khan made his first annexations in Bijnor, the rest of which soon fell under the Rohilla domination. The northern districts were granted by Ali Mohammed Khan to Khurshid Ahmed Baig, who gradually extended his influence west of the Ganges and at Delhi, receiving the title of Najib-ud-daula and becoming paymaster of the royal forces. His success, however, raised up powerful enemies against him, and at their instigation the Marathas invaded Bijnor. This was the beginning of a feud which continued for years. Najib, indeed, held his own, and for the part played by him in the victory of Panipat was made vizier of the empire.

In 1772 the Nawab of Oudh made a treaty with the Rohillas, covenanting to expel the Marathas in return for a money payment. He carried out his part of the bargain; but the Rohilla chieftains refused to pay. In 1774 the Nawab concluded with the East India Company government of Calcutta a treaty of alliance, and he now called upon the British, in accordance with its terms, to supply a brigade to assist him in enforcing his claims against the Rohillas. This was done; in the Rohilla War, the Rohillas were driven beyond the Ganges, and Bijnor was incorporated in the territories of the nawab, who in 1774 ceded it to the British East India Company. From this time the history of Bijnor is uneventful until the rebellion of 1857, when (on 1 June) it was occupied by the nawab of Najibabad, a grandson of Zabita Khan. In spite of fighting between the Hindus and the Muslim Pashtuns, the Nawab succeeded in maintaining his position until the 21 April 1858, when he was defeated by the British at Nagina, whereupon British authority was still in place until. Chaudhary Charan Singh and Babu Lakhan Singh Dhaka graduated from agra University and they fought for freedom till last breath.He was born in a village called Shadipur Milak. Bijnor is considered India’s most pure water district. Congress contested district contributed to the struggle for freedom. independence.

Culture
Agriculture is the main source of income in Bijnor, with sugarcane being the main crop.
Tourism

Vidur Kuti is about 12 km from Bijnor and has historical importance. Vidur spent his rest of life after dispute with Duryodhan. This is the place where Lord Krishana visited. Kanva Ashram is an ashram in broken condition near Rawli town according to the great legend “Abhigyan Shakuntalam”. Hastinapur’s King Dushyant reached there while hunting and fell in love with Shakuntala at first sight. During Mahabharat when the battle between Kauravas and Pandavas was about to begin, then on the request of both the sides, all wives and children were to be guardianed by Mahatma Vidur. He had no sufficient space for their living then he decided an exclusive area for ladies and children, which is now known as Daranagar. Ganj is about 12 km from District HQ and just 1 km from Daranagar on the banks of the Ganges. There are ancient temples and ashrams.

Jahanabad is situated on the bank of river Ganges and just about 1 km from Ganj. This village used to be a riyasat with around 101 villages under it during Mughal Period. Around that period a saint was living there who was famous for curing snake bites. Once when Shahjahan’s wife got bit by a snake, he treated and got “Jahanabad Riyasat” as a prize from Shah Jahan. Presently Ganges flows 2 km from here. Sita’s temple without any idol is situated one km from Nanore Village on Chandpur-Jalilpur road. This is popularly known as “Sita Mandir Math”. It is believed that this is the place where the earth tored and Sita jumped into. Sena Ka Dawar means Army’s Gate where Pandavas had settled their Army. There is a temple of Dronacharya presently. This place popularly known as a village Saindwar where Jawahar Navodaya Vidhalaya is established. Two of the Akbar’s Navratnas, namely Abul Fazzal and his brother Faizi, were born in the village Azampur which is 4 km from Basta . They studied in this village and were very intelligent. Najibudaulah’s Fort is situated in Najibabad. This fort was built by “Gulam Kadir” alias ‘Najibudaulah” during 18th Century after the downfall of the Mughal Empire.

  • Bijnor city
  • Nagina city
  • Chandok
  • Sherkot city
  • Najibabad city is a city founded by Nawab Najib-ud-Daula, also known as Najib Khan.
  • Chandpur city
  • Ratangarh village
  • Dhampur city
  • Seohara city
  • Bahupura or Kalanpur Buzurg village
  • Askaripur village
  • Haldaur city
  • Umri Village
  • Harewali Village
  • Shahzadpurvillage
  • Tajpur Town/ Village
  • Kiratpur (Keeratpur) town is situated along with the tiger reserve forest and also bank of a river (Vanaily River). it is just 7 km far from Ramganga Dam (Kalagarh Dam). * Sahanpur village is famous for its Soan Papri, Batisa, Sohan Halwa and Namkeen (Indian Snacks), Many people employed in manufacturing of these Items in villageit is situated on Najibabad – Haridwar highway and just 2 km. from najibabad.
  • Nehtaur
  • Ranipur A famous village in Bijnor District.
  • Afzalgarh city
  • Shikarpur Village