ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Mirzapur district,Uttar Pradesh

Mirzapur district is one of the 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh state in northern India. The district is bounded on the north by Sant Ravidas Nagar and Varanasi districts, on the east by Chandauli district, on the south by Sonbhadra district and on the northwest by Allahabad district. The district occupies an area of 4521 km2. Mirzapur town is the district headquarters. Mirzapur district is a part of Mirzapur division. This district is known for the Vindhyavasini temple in Vindhyachal. It consist of several Ghats where historical sculptures are still present. During the Ganges festival these Ghats are decorated with lights and diyas. It is currently a part of the Red Corridor.

As per government data the district code of Mirzapur is 199.
History

According to several recorded facts, the Mirzapur was established by the British East India Company in 1735 while the civilization at here was found in 5000 BCE. As a proof of the existence of the lower Paleolithic age culture, the artifacts of prehistoric caves, the painted rocks and other evidences in the Belan River Valley (Belan River, Halia). Here we can find the evidences that are more than 17000 BCE. Some interesting petroglyphs in the sandstone of the Vindhya range are found in Morhana Pahar in Mirzapur district. The depictions of chariots, horses, weapons and people in these works have given rise varied interpretations and findings by historians.

Before the establishment of the town the area was dense forest and freely used by various states like Benaras (Varanasi), Sakteshgarh, Vijaygarh, Nainagarh (Chunar), Naugarh, Kantit and Rewa for Hunting. British East India Company has established this area to fulfill the need of a trading center between central and western India. This time Rewa was a well-established state of central India and was directly connected with Mirzapur by the Great Deccan Road. Over the time Mirzapur became a famous trading center of Central India and started trading of cotton, and silk at very large scale.

The East India Company named this place as Mirzapore (मिर्ज़ापुर). The word Mirzapur is derived from ‘Mirza’ which in turn is derived from the Persian term ‘Trip Kalchu which literally means “child of the ‘Amīr” or “child of the ruler”. In Persia‘ Amīrzād in turn consists of the Arabic title ‘Amīr (English. “Emir”), meaning “commander”, and the Persian suffix -zād, meaning “birth” or “lineage”. Due to vowel harmony in Turkic languages, the alternative pronunciation Morza (plural morzalar; derived from the Persian word) is also used. The word entered English in 1595, from the French émir. The meaning of Mirzapur is the place of King.

Most of the city was established by British officers, but the starting development was founded by the most famous officer of British East India Company “Lord Marquess Wellesley”. As per some evidence the British construction was initiated from Burrier (Bariya) Ghat. Lord Wellesley has reconstructed the Burrier Ghat as a main entrance in Mirzapur by Ganga. Some of the places in Mirzapur was pronounced as per the name of Lord Wellesley, like Wellesleyganj (The first market in Mirzapur), Mukeri Bazar, tulsi chowk etc. The building of Municipal Corporation is also a precious example of British Constructions.

It is the place in India where the Holy River Ganges meets with Vindhya Range. This is considered significant in Hindu Mythology and has a mention in Vedas. Near mirzapur founded a religious place vindhyanchal. Vindhyachal, a Shakti Peeth, is a center of pilgrimage in Mirzapur District, Uttar Pradesh. The Vindhyavasini Devi temple located here is a major draw and is thronged by thousands of devotees during the Navratris of Chaitra and Ashwin months to invoke the blessings of the Goddess. Other sacred places in the town are Ashtbhuja temple, Sita Kund, Kali Khoh, Budeh Nath temple, Narad Ghat, Gerua talab, Motiya talab, Lal Bhairav and Kal Bhairav temples, Ekdant Ganesh, Sapta Sarovar, Sakshi Gopal temple, Goraksha-kund, Matsyendra kund, Tarkeshwar Nath temple, Kankali Devi temple, Shivashiv Samooh Awadhoot Ashram and Bhairav kund. Mirzapur is the closest railhead. Vindhyachal has regular bus services to the nearby towns. The nearest railway station is at Mirzapur. Regular bus services connect Vindhyachal to the nearby towns.

Tourism

For quite some years Mirzapur has been a destination for tourists, particularly for people from adjoining states, owing mainly to the ghats, temples, the famous clock tower(Ghanta Ghar)which are excellent examples of contemporary architecture.

Temples and mosques

A few miles away from the city is a site of a pilgrimage for Hindus known as Vindhyachal where according to the mythology a part of Sati (an Avatar of Durga) fell. The river Ganges flows through this city. Other sites of pilgrimage include Kali Khoh (literally ‘the cave of the Goddess Kali’) where a statue of the Kali has a mouth formed in the shape of a cave, hence the name. Very close to the city is a waterfall. The city itself has many Ghats (steps to a river). There are a few cinema-halls. At first look the city appears to be a confluence of town, village and city life. Power supply in the city is now regular up to some extent.

Ghanta Ghar (Clock Tower)

The famous Ghanta Ghar of Mirzapur is located in the premises of city corporation, about 3 km from the Mirzapur Railway Station. Currently not functioning, it was constructed in the year 1891, with its entire structure made up of finely carved stone and a 1000 kg alloy bell hanging from the tall structure.

Ghats
Ojhala Bridge

The Ojhala Bridge was constructed by Mahant Parshuram Giri in Vikram Samvat 1772. This valuable heritage connecting the cities of Mirzapur and Vindhyachal, with fort like minarets and ramparts on the either side of the bridge, provide a fine instance of contemporary architecture.