ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Chandrapur District,Maharashtra

Chandrapur District is a district in Nagpur Division of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The district was formerly known as Chanda District. In 1964, it was renamed as Chandrapur. It was the largest district in India until it was split into the separate district of Gadchiroli. It had a population of 2,071,101 of which 32.11% were urban as of 2001.

It is famous for its Super Thermal Power Plant, one of the biggest in Asia, and its vast reserves of coal in Wardha Valley Coalfield. Chandrapur also has large reservoirs of limestone. The abundance of lime and coal supplies many cement factories like L&T (now UltraTech Cement), Gujarat Ambuja (Maratha Cement Works), Manikgarh, Murli Cement and ACC Cement in the district.

Tadoba National Park near Chandrapur is one of India’s 28 Project tiger reserves.

The city of Chandrapur, the administrative headquarters, has ancient temples of Anchaleshwar (Lord Shiva) and Mahakali (Goddess Mahakali).

History

According to tradition and legend the name of the place was ‘Lokapura’ which was first changed to ‘ Indpur’ and subsequently to Chandrapur. During the British colonial period it was called Chanda district, which was again changed to its original name ‘Chandrapur ‘ around 1964. Other places of the region in ancient times include wairangad, Kosala, Bhadravati and Markanda. Hindu and Buddhist kings are said to have ruled the area for a long time, Later on Gonds overtook Mana Chiefs who ruled Chandrapur around 9th century and Gond Kings ruled the area till 1751 after which Maratha period started. Raghuji Bhosale, the last King of the dynasty, died heirless in 1853 and Nagpur province together with Chandrapur was declared annexed to British Empire.

In 1854, Chandrapur formed an independent district and in 1874, it comprised three tehsils: Viz Mul, Warora and Bramhpuri. In 1874, however, upper Godavai district of Madras was abolished and four tehsils were added to Chandrapur to form one tehsil with Sironcha as its headquarters. In 1895, the headquarters of one tehsil transferred to MUl to Chandrapur. A new tehsil with headquarter at Gadchoroli was created in 1905 by transfer of zamindari estates from Bramhpuri and Chandrapur tehsil. An small zamindari tract from Chandrapur district as transferred to newly from districts in 1907. In the same year and area of about 1560 km2. comprising three divisions of the lower Sironcha tehsil namely Cherla, Albak nad Nugir were transferred to Madras State. No major changes occurred in the boundaries of the district or its tehsils between 1911-1955. Consequent upon reorganization of the states in 1956, the district was transferred from Madhya Pradesh to Bombay state. In the same Rajura tehsil, a part of Adilabad district of Hydrabad state, was transferred to Nanded district subsequently it was transferred to Chandrapur district in 1959. the district became part of the Maharashtra since its creation in May 1960. For administrative convenience and industrial and agricultural development, this district was again divided into Chandrapur and Gadchiroli district after 1981 census. Chandrapur district now comprises the tehsil of Chandrapur, Bhadravati, Warora, Chimur, Nagbhir, Bramhpuri, Sindewahi, Mul, Gondpipri, Pomburna, Saoli, Rajura, Korpana, Jivati and Balharshah.

After India’s independence in 1947, the former Central Provinces became the new Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. No major changes occurred in the boundaries of the district or its tehsils between 1911–1955. The Indian states were reorganised along linguistic lines in 1956, and the largely Marathi-speaking Chandrapur District was transferred from Madhya Pradesh to become part of Bombay State.Bombay State was renamed Maharashtra in 1960.

Divisions

Chandrapur district comprises 15 talukas, namely Chandrapur, Ballarpur, Rajura, Bhadravati, Warora, Chimur, Nagbhid, Bramhapuri, Sindewahi, Mul, Sawali, Gondpipri, Korpana, Pombhurna and Jiwati.

The district has six Vidhan Sabha (legislative assembly) constituencies: Rajura, Chandrapur, Ballarpur, Warora, Brahmapuri and Chimur. Rajura, Chandrapur, Ballarpur and Warora are part of Chandrapur Lok Sabha constituency. Brahmapuri and Chimur are part of Gadchiroli-Chimur Lok Sabha constituency.