ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Wardha district,Maharashtra

Wardha About this sound pronunciation (help·info) (Marathi: ?????) is a city and a municipal council in Wardha district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the administrative headquarters of Wardha district. Wardha gets its name from the Wardha River which flows at the North, West and South boundaries of district. Founded in 1866, the town is now an important centre for the cotton trade. It was an important part of Gandhian Era.

History

It was included in the empire of the Mauryas, Shungas, Satavahanas and Vakatakas. Pravarapura, modern Pavnar, was once the capital of the Vakataka dynasty. Vakatakas were contemporary of Imperial Guptas. Prabhavatigupta, the daughter of Chandragupta II (Vikramaditya), was married with Vakataka ruler Rudrasena. The period of Vakatakas was 2nd to 5th century CE. The empire stretched from the Arabian sea in the west to the Bay of Bengal in the east, and from the Narmada river in the north to the Krishna-Godavari delta in south.

Later on, Wardha was ruled by the Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, the Delhi Sultanate, the Bahamani Sultanate, Muslim ruler of Berar, Gonds and Marathas. Raja Buland Shaha of Gonds, Raghuji of Bhonsale were the prominent rulers in the Medieval period.

During the 1850s Wardha, (then a part of Nagpur) fell into the hands of British. They included Wardha in the Central Provenance.

Wardha is a sister city for Sevagram, and both were used as major centers for the Indian Independence Movement, especially as headquarters for an annual meet of the Indian National Congress in 1934, and Mahatma Gandhi’s Ashram.

The existing Wardha district was part of Nagpur district till 1862. Further it was separated for convenient administrative purposes and Kawatha near Pulgaon was the district headquarters. In 1866, the district headquarters moved at Palakwadi village. The huts in village were destroyed and new city was constructed by English town-planner Sir Bachlor and Crawdok. This new city was given name “Wardha”. In Wardha district there is a village called Pavanar where Acharya Vinoba Bhave lived.

Important places
Magan Sangrahalaya (museum)
This museum was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi in 1938. It is situated in Maganwadi near the village’s Centre of Science. The purpose of construction of this museum is to spread awareness about research and development of rural industries, agriculture, dairy, various types of charkhas, khadi, hadicrafts by rural artisans, methods to promote Swadeshi movement, magandeep hkhadi bhandar, sele khadi gramodyog khadi cloth and gramodyog products gandhi charkha sample etc.
Gitai Mandir
This temple is situated in Gopuri near Vishwa Shanti Stupa. This is a unique temple in India which has no deity and roof. It has just walls made of granite slabs on which 18 chapters of Gitai (Shrimad-bhagwad-gita in marathi) are inscribed. The walls enclose a little beautiful park. This temple was inaugurated by Acharya Vinoba Bhave in 1980. Beside are two exhibitions about life of Acharya Vinoba Bhave and Jamnalal Bajaj.
Vishwa Shanti Stupa
Vishwa Shanti Stupa was a dream of Fujii guruji as called by Gandhi. It is beside Gitai Mandir. It is a large stupa of white color. Statues of Buddha are mounted on stupa in four directions. It also has a small Japanese Buddhist temple with a large park.There is a temple near the stupa where prayers are done for universal peace. It is one of many Peace Pagoda’s which have been built around the world.
Sevagram Ashram
Sevagram ashram was the residence of Mahatma Gandhi from 1936 to 1948. After his 1930 Dandi salt march, Gandhi decided not to return to his ashram at Sabarmati. After spending two years in jail, he travelled around India and, at the invitation of the Gandhian industrialist Jamnalal Bajaj., stayed for some time in Wardha City at Jamnalal’s bungalow.In 1936, at the age of 67, Gandhiji moved to a village (which he subsequently called Sewagram – Hindi for village of service) at the outskirts of Wardha and started to live here in a group of huts with his wife Kasturba and other disciples. This slowly grew into an ashram, where Gandhi lived with his followers for the next twelve years, till his death. The premises are very calming. Many personal items used by Gandhi and his contemporaries are preserved here including his spectacles, telephone, notebook, tables, mats, etc.[9]
Paramdham Ashram
This ashram was established by Acharya Vinoba Bhave in 1934 at Pawnar on bank of river Dham with spiritual purpose. He also establish Brahma Vidya mandir in it. He started Bhoodan Movement from here. Also starting point of “Bharat Chhodo Andolan” was this ashram. Pawnar is an ancient city dating back to Mahabharata. During Bhonsle reign Pawnar was vidarbha’s most important military station. During excavation for construction of ashram, many sculptures and idols were found which are kept at ashram and open to visitors.
Rashtrbhasha Prachar Samiti
Rashtrabhasha Prachar Samiti is devoted institute for spreading Hindi all over world. It has branches all over world, but its headquarters is at Wardha.
Kelzar Ganpati temple
The Kelzar Ganpati Temple is situated about 26 km form Wardha on the Nagpur road. This temple is situated on a hill & surrounded by the scenic beauty of forests & hills. The temple is historical place and its history goes back to “Vashishtha Purana”. The temple is situated near the Bor National Tiger Reserve & Bird sanctuary.

The place is also mentioned in “Mahabharata” as Ekchakranagari. According to myth,Pandavas lived here during agyatvas. Bhima killed Bakasura at this place and threw down this hill. An ancient cave where Bakasura is still at foot of the hill and his famous well is also nearby. This well has sculptured stones on inner wall and stairs. Remains of old fort are also seen here. Finding sculptures during digging for any purpose is common. Sculptures relating to hinduism, jainism and buddhism has found. But ASI is not paying attention to this. Many sculptures have ruined due to proper lack of care. Some sculptures can be seen in above temple, nearby hillock, gram panchayar office buddha vihar and emerging Angel’s Paradise English Medium School with huge campus and all facility for students with modern teaching techniques.