ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Dhubri District,Assam

Dhubri District is an administrative district in the state of Assam. The district headquarters are located at Dhubri town which is situated at ~290 km from Guwahati, the state capital. This was also the headquarters of erstwhile undivided Goalpara district which was created in 1876 by the British government. In 1983, Goalpara district was divided into four districts and Dhubri is one among those. The Dhubri district is one among the many Muslim Majority districts of Assam. About 75% of population is Muslim in Dhubri.
As of 2011 it is the second most populous district of Assam (out of 27), after Nagaon.

History

The word Dhuburi comes from a legendary lady named Netai-Dhubuni. The story is connected with Behula-Lakhindar. The word Dhubuni is considered a corruption of ‘Dhuburi’. According to Bodo-Kacharis, the word is of Bodo origin and derived from Dubra, a kind of grass. The story of lady Netai-Dhubuni is widely accepted for the naming history of Dhubri and that is where the Gurdwara Sri Tegh Bahadur Sahib stands.

This place is famous for the Sikh Gurdwara Gurdwara Damdama Sahib or Thara Sahib which was constructed in memory of visit of First Sikh Guru Nanak Dev and later it was followed by visit of Ninth guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur and the Gurdwara is named as Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib. Hence, it has great importance for Sikh community.

Until 1874, Dhubri was mostly a part of Bengal kings. In 1874, the British Government created a new province named Assam Valley Province and incorporated Goalpara district area comprising three civil subdivisions Dhubri, Goalpara and Kokrajhar with the new Assam Province. In 1879, the district headquarters was shifted from Goalpara to Dhubri town. The district of Dhubri is again subdivided in three districts namely Dhubri, Goalpara and Kokrajhar. The town of Dhubri falls under the jurisdiction of the district of Dhubri whose headquarters is at town Dhubri.

The present Dhubri District is one of the three Civil Sub-divisions of erst-while Goalpara district, established in 1876 during British regime. In 1879 the District headquarters was shifted from Goalpara to Dhubri.

In the year 1983 Goalpara district was divided into four separate districts and Dhubri is one of those. Covering an area of 2,838 km2. including forests, riverines, hills etc. the district has become the most densely populated district in India with a density of 584 persons per km2.(As per 2001 census).

Dhubri Dist has been visited by many historical personalities like – Guru Nanaka, Srimanta Sankardeva, Guru Teg Bahadur, Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Gopinath Bordoloi and others.

Dhubri town also was very famous for the Match Factory (WIMCO), though it has shut down due to circumstances but still people who had witnessed the same still remembering the beauty of the factory its staff quarters and their modern art of living.

Dhubri is also famous for its Durga Puja and Dashera.

The Dhubri Town was first constituted as a Municipality in 1883. The Dhubri Town is 290 km far from the State Capital at Dispur.

Tourism
Dhubri District is bestowed with attractive scenic beauties. Both the banks of river Brahmaputra with its lush green fields, blue hills and hillock is a feast to the eyes of the onlookers. The Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Shaibji, the Rangamati Mosque, Mahamaya Dham, Chakrasila wildlife sanctuary and the royal palaces attract the people for their unique structures, religious sanctity and mythological importance.
Places of interest

  • Mahamaya Dham and shakti pith Snan Ghat :- of Bogribari, about 30–35 km east from Dhubri town is next to Kamakhya (Guwahati) and Madan-Mohan (Cooch Behar) in its attraction to the pilgrims and tourists. Originally the famous mother Goddess Mahamaya of Parvatjowar was worshipped by the local people like Kacharies, Koches and Naths. It was the presiding deity of the Jaminder of Parvatjowar. Nowadays the mother Mahamaya is worshipped by all Hindus.
  • Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegbahadur Sahibji: In the heart of the Dhubri Town and on the bank of the river mighty Brahmaputra, this famous Gurdwara is situated. Sikh Guru Nanak visited this place in 1505 AD and met Sri Sankardeva during Guru Nanak Devji’s way from Dhaka to Assam. Thereafter the Ninth Sikh Guru Teg Bahadur came to this place in the year 1666 and established the Gurdwara during 17th century accompany of Raja Ram Singh. Sikh devotees from all over India and abroad assembled in this Gurdwara every year in the month of December to mark the Martydom of Sri Guru Teg Bahadur with due solemnity and ceremony. Sikh devotees called reverence of Sahidee-Guru-Parav.
  • Panchpeer Dargaha: It is Mazar Sharif of five Sufi Saints who accompanied Raja Ram Singh during his time of Mughal fight with the Ahom Regime of Assam. Guru Tegh Bahadur had also accompanied along with the Sufi Saints.
  • Rangamati Mosque: Rangamati Mosque or Panbari Mosque was built during 17th century by Hussain Shah, the Governor of Bengal belongs to pre-Mughal period which can be recognised from its typical architectural design. It is about 25 km from township of Dhubri. Rangamati area was once a very prosperous during the reign of the Koch rulers as a frontier post. During Mughal regime Rangamati was a great fort of the invading Mughal Army. This unique Mosque was used as a prayer place by the Mohmmedan Soldiers. There is also an Idgah and a deep well which were also constructed during the same period.
  • Other significant features: Two world famous wetlands – Dheer Beel and Diplai Beel adjoin Chakrasila wildlife Sanctuary. These two Beels are home to a large number of fishes, turtles, prawn and birds both indigenous and migratory.
  • Chakrasila Wildlife Sanctuary: In 1994 Chakrasila Hill Reserve Forest was declared as Chakrasila Hill Wildlife Sanctuary by the government of India covering 4558.7 hectares of land. The distribution of varieties of plant species in Chakrasila provides diverse niches for many species of wildlife. The significant golden langur exists in Chakrasila Wildlife Sanctuary in addition to other mammals like leopard, leopard cat, porcupine, pangoline, flying squirrel and civet cat. adjutant stork, Indian owl, myna, parakeet, dove, hornbil, jungle fowl, kingfisher, heron, darter, snipe and teal are the birds commonly found. Python, monitor, crait, cobra, turtle, tead and frog are some reptiles and amphibia that are also found. It is about 70 km from Dhubri Town. This sanctuary provides facilities / activities such as bird watching, forest trekking, wildlife and nature photography. Local guides are available on payment. There is a site for erecting tents and free accommodation for a group of 15 individuals with hygienic drinking water in the camp Tapoban provided by the local NGOs.
  • Florican Garden: A newly setup garden-cum-natural park located at Bilasipara about 50 km from Dhubri Town.
  • Others: Other tourist places include Matiabag Palace at Gauripur, Netai Dhubuni Ghat at Dhubri Town, Chandardinga Hillock, Dudhnath Mondir at Salkocha, Ramraikuti at Satrasal, Airport of IInd World War and Soreswar beel at Rupshi, Dhubri matches factory.