Jorhat is an administrative district of Assam, located in the central part of Brahmaputra Valley. The district is bounded by Lakhimpur district on north, Nagaland state on the south, Sivasagar on the east and Golaghat on the west. On the North of the district, the river Brahmaputra forms the largest riverine island of the world. The administrative seat is located at Jorhat town.
Earlier Jorhat was a sub-division of undivided Sibsagar district. In 1983 Jorhat was carved out of Sibsagar District and was made a separate district.
The northern most area of the present district was a part of the Sutiya Kingdom before the Ahom-Sutiya war in the 16th century. In 1794 the Ahom king Gaurinath Singha shifted the capital from Sibsagar (erstwhile ”Rangpur”) to Jorhat. This town was a flourishing and commercial metropolis but completely destroyed after a series of the Burmese invasions since 1817 till the arrival of the British force in 1824 under the Stewardship of David Scott and Captain Richard.
The British rule, though, was not free from rebellions and revolutions, contributed to reemergence of this historical town. From the very first decade of the British rule, the great revolutionists who emerged were Gomdhar Konwar, Jeuram and Piyali, British system of administration, came into vogue in 1839 with an established Police Thana. During the great “Sepoy Mutiny” the anti-British plot hatched by Maniram Dewan and Piyali Barua was sabotaged, and these leaders were hanged in public at this very place in 1858.
In 1885, a narrow-gauge train service (Jorhat Provincial Railway) had come into operation and ultimately became instrumental in rapid growth of tea industry.
Though the civil sub-division under Sibsagar district at Jorhat was formed in 1869, this great place was declared as administration headquarters of the undivided Sibsagar district in 1911, which comprised the present Sibsagar, Jorhat and Golaghat and parts of Karbi-Anglong district with Major A. Playfair as the first deputy commissioner.
The modern-day district of Jorhat was created in 1983 when it was split from Sibsagar district
Places of interest
Majuli, is the largest freshwater river island in The world contesting for a position in the “World Heritage list”, falls under the jurisdiction of the civil administration of sub-division of Jorhat District. It is located 20 kilometers from the heartland of the City of Jorhat, Assam. It is an environment friendly, pollution free fresh water island nestled in the mighty River Brahmaputra. Total area of the island is 1250 km2. Majuli is a geographical landscape of natural and cultural heritage site, with water bodies covering most of the areas which attracts plenty of local and migratory birds. About twenty six Satras or the cultural house of power are in Majuli of which the Kamalabari, Auniati and Garmur are worth mentioning. These Satras are propagating the religious ideology of great Assamese medieval Vaisnavite saint Sankardav and Madhavdav, preaching satria culture.
Dhekiakhowa Bornamghar is a noted Bor namghar (place of worship) in Assam, established by saint-reformer Madhabdev in 1461. It is located at Dhekiakhowa village of Jorhat, 3.5 km away from National Highway 37. From the time of saint-reformer Sri Srimanta Sankardev and Madhavdev, this namghar (prayer hall) has been continuing as an important centre for Baisnav religion.
Now this Bor namghar has 13 bighas of land, an auditorium of its own. The devotees of Assam donate freely to this namghar and due to their helping hand, the managing committee of Namghar conducts a lot of social and cultural welfare programs. Almost 461 years old, this namghar has been playing an important role in the exercise of Baisnav religion and unity for the people of Assam.
It is said that the main pillar of the namghar is made of a Xaal tree (Shorea robusta). One night one of the bhakat (monks) of the namgahr saw in a dream that the river near the Bor namghar (known as dhekiyakhua jaan) was flowing in opposite direction and was carrying a Haal tree meant to be for the construction of the Bor namghar. Next day, when people saw that dream to be true, they made the main pillar of the Bor namghar from the tree.
Lachit Borphukan’s Maidam
This is the maidam of great Lachit Borphukan. He was the greatest ever Ahom General who defeated the mighty Mughals at Saraighat in 1672. He died a year later and his remains were laid under this maidam by Swargadeo Udayaditya Singha. It is located at Gohain gaon of Meleng-Hulungapar. It is 8 km from the Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary.
The existing maidam (vault) which lies on the south bank of River Tocklai on the northern side of Jorhat town is of the last Ahom king, Purandar Sinha, who expired on 1 October 1848. The present maidam was constructed to preserve the ashes of the last Ahom King Purandar Singha.
Jorhat Science Centre & Planetarium
It is located near the Rajmao Pukhuri opened to the public from March 2013 onwards. A dominant feature of the digital planetarium is the large dome-shaped projection screen onto which scenes of stars, planets and other celestial objects can be made to appear and move realistically to simulate the complex ‘motions of the heavens’. This will have enhanced data mapping, data logging and astronomical planetary motion. The digital planetarium reduces the maintenance costs and increases the reliability for such systems: they employ few moving parts and do not generally require synchronisation of movement across the dome between several separate systems.
Jorhat Gymkhana Club
Established by British, the Jorhat Gymkhana Club was built in 1876 by D. Slimmon, then Secretary of the club in Seconidhara village. The club has been a venue for horse races ever since its inauguration. The Governor’s Cup is the major trophy awarded here every year.
It has a lush green 9-hole golf course circuit vying for a position in the “World Heritage list” as the oldest golf course in Asia and the third oldest in the world The club offers facilities in lawn tennis grass courts, swimming pool, billiards, polo, gentleman’s bar and cinema theatre. The cricket ground here is known as ‘Jorhat Gymkhana Ground’. It had the grace of hosting the CK Naidu Under-19 Indian Cricket tournament matches.Khelmati sports club uses this ground for practising cricket.
The Club road was the first asphalt road laid by the Britishers to connect the City Centre with the Jorhat Gymkhana Club.
Chandrakanta Handique Bhavan
The Chandrakanta Handique Bhavan, built in 1926, was donated by late Radhakanta Handique. It is the headquarters of Asam Sahitya Sabha. Personalities like late Chandradhar Baruah, late Dimbeswar Neog, late Mitradev Mahanta and other writers from Jorhat have adorned the presidency of Asom Sahitya Sabha.
Ayur Sanjeeva is a health resort situated inside the Tilikiam tea garden. Amidst the greenery of the tea garden and having the vast open land Malow Pathar behind it and with the perpetual cool breeze coming from the nearby Brahmaputra, this resort is to be the dreamland for nature lovers.
Jorhat District Museum
This mini museum comprises the metal icons and stone sculpture, sins of Sashi bark and man made paper, weapons of Ahom dynasty. It is situated in the complex of P.G. Training College in M.G. Road.
Thengal Bhawan was built in 1880 by Rai Bahadur Siva Prasad Barooah. In 1929, he published a weekly Assamese newspaper. Later, he established his printing press and office at Thengal Bhawan and managed to publish a daily newspaper, Dainik Batori. Siva Prasad Barooah was the owner and Bagmibar Nilamani Phukan was the editor of this daily newspaper. This newspaper was published from such a place, Thengal Bhawan, where there was no post office. It was the first daily newspaper in Assamese and also the first daily newspaper in any language, published from a village in entire India.
Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary
Hollongapar Gibbon Wildlife sanctuary, more popularly known as Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary named after hoolock gibbon covers an area of 20.98 square kilometers (including the area under Military Engineering Services of Indian Army) at Jorhat district of Assam. The Hoollongapar Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary was earlier known as Hoollongapar Forest during British period in 1881. This sanctuary is approximately 19 km from Jorhat’s town centre and 5 km from Mariani.
Kaziranga Golf Resort
Kaziranga Golf Resort is a very picturesque golf resort located at Sangsua and Gatoonga Tea Estates near Mohbondha in west Jorhat.
Sukapha Samannay Kshetra
Laid in the fond memory of the first Ahom king of Assam, Sukapha at Mohbandha near Dergaon and Jorhat. The State administration has pledged Rs 20 crore for the mega project in recognition of the six hundred years of Ahom rule in the region.
Mou Chapori is a nice place at Neematighat, Jorhat. It is a small river island on Brahmaputra and an ideal place for family holidays. Cottages are attractive and available at affordable prices.
Mulai Kathoni or Mulai Forest, a man made forest located at Kokilamukh, a village of Jorhat. Jadav Payeng, “the forest man of India”, who is behind this exceptional work, upgraded a chapori of the river Brahmaputra to this forest.
The Jagannath Temple is under construction at Goswami Nagar in Cinnamara, Jorhat.
Public parks and gardens