Serchhip District is one of the eight districts of Mizoram state in India. The district occupies an area of 1421.60 km². Serchhip town is the administrative headquarters of the district. This district came into existence on 15 September 1998, being carved out of the larger Aizawl District.Because of the way it was created it includes part of East Lungdar Tehsil and part of Thingsulthliah Tehsil.
As of 2011 census, it has the highest literacy rate in India, and is the second least populous district of Mizoram (out of 7), after Saiha.
The first settlement within Serchhip area can be traced back to Lallula, a Mizo chief, who set up a settlement at Kawlri. Lallula massacred Thlânrâwn Pawi at Zopui. After this incident, afraid of revenge from Thlânrâwn, he fled towards Artahkawn to Lunglei Zobawk. And from there, he migrated towards North, and reached Serchhip Kawlri. The second settlement at Serchhip was founded by Bengkhuaia, son of Lalpuithanga, Chief of Bâwngchâwm, a great Mizo chief. From Kawlri he made a raid on Assam valley (Alexandrapur and its attached areas)in 1871, captured Mary Winchester, a daughter of James Winchester, that led to the First Lushai Expedition in 1872.
Serchhip is located at 23.3°N 92.83°E.It has an average elevation of 888 metres (2913 feet). It lies between the two very important rivers of Mat and Tuikum. River Tuikum is a public drinking water for Serchhip and River Mat is an irrigation water for Zawlpui, the rice bowl of Serchhip. The annual temperatures range from a high of 34°C to a low of 10°C.
Agriculture is one of the important occupation. Being situated near Mat river valley, Serchhip is the main producer of cash crops in Mizoram, famous for its cabbages and mustards.
The district consists of number of towns and villages lying around Serchhip. Thenzawl is the second biggest town after Serchhip. It is one of the few flat area with beautiful grassy landscape. Nearby Thenzawl is a spectacular waterfall called Vantawng Falls (meaning Heaven’s reaching fall). This beautiful stepped fall is easily accessible by road, and it is a place where one can hear the calling of nature silently.
Paragliding is a new sport for the people of Serchhip town.
The most famous waterfall in Mizoram, Vantawng Falls, is about 4 km to the south of Thenzawl (sub-division) at Lau River. The height of this waterfall is roughly measured to be about 220 m. The artistic design like seven rounded storey cliff of this falls is very attractive. It was said that Vantawnga was a great swimmer who was supposed to have lived in a nearby village who could swim upwards to the falls when the volume of the water was at its peak. When the Ngawidawh people urged him to swim upwards of the falls again, a large log carried by the flood had hit him and died at the spot. As such, the falls was named after him. It was also said that the Mualthuam sub-clan who had once settled in Mizoram believed and worshipped the spirit of this waterfall. It is about 24 km from the headquarters town of Serchhip.
Zoluti Hriatrengna Lung
Word meaning: Hratrengna – Memory; Lung – Stone.It could be presumed that Mary Winchester (ZOLUTI, as called by the Mizo people), taken as captive on 23.1.1871 by Mizo Chief Bengkhuaia of Kawlri was a root of Christianity in Mizoram. The spot, most of the writers and historians accepted to be the place where Zoluti was handed over to the British Official on 21.1.1872 is AW-A MUAL at Kawlri Tlang near Serchhip Kawnpui.In this place the Kristian ?halai Pawl (Christian Youth Fellowship), Serchhip Vengchung Branch had erected a stone on 5.1.1994 in memory of Zoluti, daughter of Dr. Winchester, a manager in one of the Assam Tea Garden.However, the place was a historical agenda which had since long been debated between writers, historians and the people of Sailàm, Serchhip and Thenzawl. Till today, the question remains unsettled. There is no historical fact as to where Zolûti was handed over to the British official.The army column called The Lushai Expeditionary Force (Vailian Pahnihna) specially entrusted to bring back the white maid Zolûti was commanded by Lt. Col. T. H. Lewin, the Mizo people named him Pu Thangliana, who wrote the book A fly on the Wheel, in which he put the following lines:-
“…She (Zolûti) appeared, during her long stay with her kidnapper to have altogether forgotten English language, but on the officer fumbling in his pocket, and demanding whether she would like to have a sweet, her memory was at once refreshed and she held out her hand, showing that she understood what had been said.” -(page 277, A fly on the Wheel)
Word meanings: Thlàn – Tomb; Nl – Abbv. of Nula (Unmarried woman), Tv – Tlangval (Unmarried man)Chhingchhîp Branch YMA had erected a stone in memory of Nl. Chhingpuii at about 4 km north of Chhingchhip just above the Indian National Highway No. 54.Nl. Chhíngpuii (of Ruanzáwl sub-Village) was known for her beauty. They were in deep attachment with Tv. Kaptluanga. Meanwhile, Lalnawta, son of a village council elder, also loved her, but could not win her heart and then tried to revenge upon her lover. He made the evil spirit get inside Kâptluanga and he began seriously ill and could not move out at all.Even after that a love feeling inside Chhingpuii did not fade away. When she set out to her daily routine of going to Lo (jhum or farm) also, if she went along with other bachelors, she afraid that her lover, Kaptluanga’s heart would have inflamed. So, she used to set off to lo along with an old man Ralteawmkhauha.It was on that very morning that she was caught by the enemies (during that time the second most famous civil war, Chhak leh Tlang Indo, East and West War 1877 – 1880 was going on) and she died at the hands of her captors, led by Thangzika (of Tachhip Village), though she had pleaded vehemently to save her life. It is said that her beauty did not fade even after her death.