Khandwa is a City and a Nagar Nigam in the Nimar region of Madhya Pradesh, India. It is the administrative headquarters of Khandwa District, formerly known as East Nimar District.
Khandwa is an ancient city, with many places of worship, like many other cities in India. Mostly they are Hindu and Jain temples. During the 12th century AD. it was a center of Jainism. During British rule, it passed nearby Burhanpur (now a separate district) as the main commercial centre of the Nimaad region. Khandwa is a major railway junction, where the Malwa line connecting Indore with the Deccan meets the main east-west line from Mumbai to Kolkata.
The district has an area of 6206 km², and a population 1,309,443 (2011 census). Khandwa District lies in the Nimar region, which includes the lower valley of the Narmada River,Kherkhali River,Choti Tawa River,Shiva River. The Narmada forms part of the northern boundary of the district, and the Satpura Range form the southern boundary of the district. Burhanpur District, to the south, lies in the basin of the Tapti River. The pass through the Satpuras connecting Khandwa and Burhanpur is one of the main routes connecting northern and southern India, and the fortress of Asirgarh, which commands the pass, is known as the “Key to the Deccan”. Betul and Harda districts lie to the east, Dewas District to the north, and Khargone District to the west.
Khandwa district was surrendered by the Marathas to the British Raj in 1818, and later became part of the Central Provinces and Berar. The area to the west, which forms the present Khargone district, was part of the princely state of Indore. After India’s independence in 1947, the Central Provinces and Berar became the new Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
Khandwa District was known as Nimar District before 1956, when the state of Madhya Bharat to the west was merged with the state of Madhya Pradesh. The present-day Khargone District of Madhya Bharat was also called Nimar, so the districts were renamed West and East Nimar. Nimar district was part of the Nerbudda (Narmada) Division of the Central Provinces and Berar, which became the state of Madhya Bharat (later Madhya Pradesh) after India’s independence in 1947. Khandwa was known as East Nimar until recently. Burhanpur District was separated from Khandwa District on 15 August 2003. Khandwa District is part of Indore Division. Tabish.In Main Cities is Mundi, Harsud, Pandhana, Omkareshwar
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Khandawa one of the country’s 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640).It is one of the 24 districts in Madhya Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Notable natives and residents