Balaghat District a district of Madhya Pradesh state of central India. The town of Balaghat serves as its administrative headquarters.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the district was divided among two Gond kingdoms; the portion of the district west of the Wainganga was part of the Gond kingdom of Deogarh, while the eastern portion was part of the Garha-Mandla kingdom.
The Deogarh kingdom was annexed by the Bhonsle Marathas of Nagpur in 1743, and shortly thereafter conquered all but the northern section of the district. This section, together with the rest of the Garha-Mandla kingdom, was annexed in 1781 to the Maratha province of Saugor, then under control of the Maratha Peshwa. In 1798 the Bhonsles also obtained the former Garha-Mandla territories.
In 1818, at the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Maratha War, The Nagpur kingdom became a princely state of British India. In 1853, the Nagpur kingdom, including Balaghat District, was annexed by the British, and became the new province of Nagpur. Balaghat District was then divided among the British districts of Seoni and Bhandara. Nagpur Province was reorganized into the Central Provinces in 1861.
Balaghat District was constituted during the years 1867 by amalgamation of parts of the Bhandara, Mandla and Seoni districts. The headquarters of the district was originally called “Burha” or “?????”. Later, however, this name fell into disuse and was replaced by “Balaghat”, which was originally the name of the district only. Administratively, the district was divided into only two tehsils, Baihar tehsil in the north, which included the plateau region, and Balaghat tehsil in south, which included the more settled lowlands in the south. The new district was part of the Central Provinces’ Nagpur Division.
In the middle of the 19th century the upper part of the district was a lightly settled, And a beautiful Buddhist temple of cut stone, belonging to some remote period, is suggestive of a civilization which had disappeared before historic times. The first Deputy-Commissioner of the district, Colonel Bloomfield is believed as the pioneer or the Creator of Balaghat District whom encouraged the settlement of Baihar tehsil with Panwar Rajput from the Wainganga Valley. About that time one Lachhman Panwar established the first villages on the Paraswara plateau.Malanjkhand is the most popular copper mine in Asian Region.
In 1868-1869 the rains ceased a month before time, causing the failure of the lowland rice crop and a famine. The district suffered very severely from the famine of 1896-1897, when the output of all crops fell to only 17 percent of normal. The district suffered again in 1899-1900, when the rice crop failed again, falling to only 23 percent of normal. The population in 1901 was 326,521, having decreased 15% in the decade 1891-1901, due to the effects of famine.
At the beginning of the 20th Century, the district had only 15 miles (24 km) of paved roads, together with 208 miles (335 km) of unpaved roads. The Jabalpur-Gondia railway line through the district was completed in 1904, with six stations in the district.
After Indian Independence in 1947, the Central Provinces became the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. In 1956, Balaghat District became part of the Jabalpur Division of Madhya Pradesh, when the districts to the south of Balaghat, including Gondia, Bhandara, and Nagpur districts, were transferred to Bombay State.
Balaghat District is currently a part of the Red Corridor. Balaghat district was constituted during the years 1867–1873 by amalgamation of parts of the Bhandara, Mandia, and Seoni Districts. Its name signifies “above the ghats” and is due to the fact that the original purpose of Government in constituting the District was to effect the colonization of the tracts above the ghats.The headquarters of the District was originally called Burha or ?????. Later, however, this name fell into disuse and was replaced by ‘Balaghat’ which was originally the name of the District only.
In MP Balaghat district has much natural beauty, mineral deposits and also prosperous with forests. There are too many stories told for the nomination of Balaghat. BUDHA, this name is given by the historians of 1743–1751 time period. Balaghat comes under the Bhandara dist. Raghuji is the first Maratha who came to this place from Kirnapur Side.
In 1845, DALHOUSIE started the tradition of adoption (??? ???? ?? ????? ). Through this tradition states of the GOND emperors were added to the BRITISH states, at that time the actual name of this place was BARAHGHAT. For the fixing of this name the name a proposal was sent to the capital of that time Calcutta before 1911. The name Barahghat drives because all the names of hills contain the word ghat, In which Masen Ghat, Kanjai Ghat, Ranrama Ghat, Basa Ghat, Dongri Ghat, Selan Ghat, Bhaisana Ghat, Saletekri Ghat, Dongaria Ghat, Kavahrgarh ghat, Ahmadpur ghat, Teepagarh Ghat are important. When this word was sent to Calcutta it merged with ANGL word and the name was Baraghat. When this was returned from there the name changed “L” as Balaghat means in the position of “R” which was permitted. and the District got its name as Balaghat. On 1 November 1956 it was declared as Independent District of newly created State of Madhya Pradesh.
Balaghat District is located in the southern part of Jabalpur Division. It occupies the south eastern portion of the Satpura Range and the upper valley of the Wainganga River. The district extends from 21°19′ to 22°24′ north latitude and 79°31′ to 81°3′ east longitude. The total area of the district is 9,245 km². Balaghat District is bounded by Mandla District of Madhya Pradesh to the north, Dindori District to the northwest, Rajnandgaon District of Chhattisgarh state to the east, Gondia and Bhandara districts of Maharashtra state to the south, and Seoni District of Madhya Pradesh to the west. the Main language spoken in district is Hindi ,Gondi in Baihar & Ukwa , Lodhi in paraswada ,Northern parts of Balaghat tehsil and Bharveli, Kalari in Lanji & kirnapur, Pawari in western parts i.e. Waraseoni, Katangi & Lalbarra and Marathi in the southern part of district.
The Wainganga and its tributaries are the most important rivers in the district. The town of Balaghat is situated on the Bank of River Wainganga , which flows north to south through the district and Enters in Balaghat District by Merging with Thanwar river near Nainpur of Mandla District. The Bagh, Nahra and Uskal rivers are tributaries of the Wainganga.The Bawanthadi and Bagh rivers define the boundary with Maharashtra.
The southern part of the Vindhyan Range up to Katangi is called Lower Bhander Range. Beyond this point the escarpment enclosing the land-locked valley of Sirampur and the hill range in continuation is called the Kaimur Range.
Geographically the district is divided into three distinct parts: