Chhatarpur District is a district of Madhya Pradesh state of central India. The town of Chhatarpur is the district headquarters.
Chattarpur district located at 24.06° & 25.20°N 78.59° & 80.26° E respectively. The district has an area of 8,687 km².Chhatarpur District is bounded by Uttar Pradesh state to the north, and the Madhya Pradesh districts of Panna to the east, Damoh to the south, Sagar to the southwest, and Tikamgarh to the west. Chhatarpur District is part of Sagar Division.
Before Indian Independence, present-day Chhatarpur district consisted of a number of princely states, including Bijawar, Chhatarpur, Gaurihar, Alipura, and Lugasi, along with most of Charkhari and portions of Panna and Ajaigarh. After independence, the rulers of the states acceded to the Government of India, and the district became part of the new state of Vindhya Pradesh. Vindhya Pradesh was merged into Madhya Pradesh on November 1, 1956. Nowgaon(near chhatarpur) was declared capital of Madhya Pradesh, after six month Bhopal became the capital of Madhya Pradesh.
It is one of the 24 districts in Madhya Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Bundeli a Western Hindi language (often considered a dialect of Hindi) is the main language spoken in the district along with Hindi. Vernaculars include Bharia, a Dravidian language spoken by at least 200 000 members of the Bharia tribe and written in the Devanagari script.
Places of interest
The district is home to Khajuraho, the famous temple city created by the Chandela clan of Rajputs in the tenth century. Other notable locations are Jatashankar, Bhimkund, Panna National Park, Bambar Baini Temple in Lavkushnagar, Arjunkund, Naogaon Nowgong, Dhubela Museum, Maharajpur, Raneh Falls and Ken Gharial Sanctuary, Bijawar, Mata Temple at Harpalpur, and Hanuman Tauria.
Notable persons from the district