ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Dumka district,Jharkhand

Dumka district is one of the twenty-four districts of Jharkhand state in eastern India, and Dumka is the administrative headquarters of this district. This district covers an area of 3716.02 km². This district has a population of 1,321,096 (2011 Census).

Etymology

There are two theories on how Dumka got its name. The first one suggests that Dumka’s name derives from the Santali word sumk for “shunted” or “small,” because during the British Raj, it was a small town compared to Suri and Bhagalpur.

The other is that Dumka derives its name from the Persian word damin-i-koh, which means ‘skirts (an edge, border or extreme part) of the hills’. The Mughals assigned this name to the town and its vicinity on account of the presence of hillocks and undulating terrain.[citation needed]
History

  • Stone-age: On the basis of tools unearthed the original inhabitants appear to be the Mon-khmers and the Mundas.
  • Early History: The earlier inhabitants of the present-day district of whom there is same record, it appears, were the Paharias (for example, the Maler and Sauria Paharias). The Greek traveler Megasthenes identified these people as Mallis. He referred to the Sauria Paharias as savars of Orisa.
  • Medieval History: Due to inaccessibility of the area caused by the cliffs of the Rajmahal Hills, it was a place of strategic economic importance, with a fort at Teliagarhi.
  • After the 1539 victory of Sher Shah Suri at Chousa, the area fell into the hands of the Afghans, but it was soon lost to the Mughals under Akbar when Hussain Quli Khan was made viceroy of Bengal.
  • British Period (Raj): The English representative, Dr. Gabriel Bokgliton, procured a farman from Shah Jahan.
  • 1742-1751: The area of Dumka close to Rajmahal witnessed frequent inroads by the Marathas under Raghoji Bhosle and Peshwa Balaji Rao.
  • 1745: Raghoji Bhosle entered Rajmahal via the hills and jungles of Santal Pargana. The early stay of the English was spent in subduing the Paharias.
  • 1769: Dumka remained a Ghatwali police post under Birbhum District of Bengal.
  • 1775: Dumka was transferred to Bhagalpur Division.
  • 1865: Dumka was made an independent district after being carved out of Bhagalpur.
  • 1872: Dumka was made headquarters of the whole district of Santal Pargana.
  • 1889: Paul Olaf Bodding started his service in India (Dumka/Benagaria) after Lars Olsen Skrefsrud, and Bodding created the first alphabet for the Santhals. The NELC-church was created as a Lutheran Church in this area – before the Catholics had established a mission in this area at all.
  • 1902: The first municipality was established.
  • 1920: Motor cars and buses were introduced.
  • 1952: The Apostolic Prefecture of Malda was erected. In 1962, it was promoted to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dumka.
  • 1983: Dumka was made the divisional headquarters of Santhal Pargana.
  • 2000: Dumka became the sub-capital of Jharkhand.
  • 2011: Dumka is connected with the newly built Jasidih – Dumka railway line.
  • 2012: Intercity express to Ranchi started via Jasidih.
  • Tourist places
    Masanjore Dam
    Masanjore is a famous picnic spot situated in Dumka District of Jharkhand. This small village is about 30 km south of Dumka. The picturesque Masanjore dam on the Mayurakshi River is a major draw. From the counterpart rupee fund created through supplies of wheat and other materials from Canada for use in India, Canada Govt. devoted those funds to further development of the Mayurakshi project And Masanjore dam was commissioned in 1955. That’s why the Dam is still mentioned as Canada Dam. The dam is bounded by hills and forests, a perfect place for outing. Mayurakshi Bhawan Bungalow and Inspection Bungalow offer excellent and comfortable accommodation in the village. By road, Masanjore is connected with Vakreshwara (59 km), Sainthia (50 km), Tarapith (70 km), Rampurhat (62 km) and Deoghar (98 km).
    Kurwa park (Shrishti)
    It is a small picnic spot about 5 km to the south of Dumka. It has a beautiful park, facilities for boating and a small hill.
    Chutonath
    It is situated 20 km from the district headquarters. It is a beautiful place and picnic spot having natural beauty surrounded by hillocks and river. Chutonath is a religious place of Hindu god Lord chutonath.
    Dharmasthan
    It is temple situated in Tin bazaar at the heart of Dumka Town,It is very famous for goddess kali, during the Durga puja 7 days special puja is organised here.