ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

South Goa district,Goa

South Goa is one of two districts that comprises the state of Goa in West India, within the region known as the Konkan. It is bounded by the district of North Goa to the north, the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka state to the east and south, while the Arabian Sea forms its western coast.

History
The Portuguese established a colony in Goa in 1510 and expanded the colony to its present boundaries during the 17th and 18th centuries. Goa was annexed by India on 19 December 1961. Goa and two other former Portuguese enclaves became the union territory of Goa, Daman and Diu, and Goa was organised into a single district in 1965. On 30 May 1987 Goa attained statehood (while Daman and Diu became a separate union territory), and Goa was reorganised into two districts, North Goa and South Goa.
Divisions

The administrative headquarters of the district is Margao. The district is divided into three subdivisions – Margao, Mormugao (Vasco da Gama), and Quepem; and six taluks – Mormugao, Salcete (Margao), Quepem, Canacona (Chaudi), Sanguem, and Dharbandora.

A spacious district administrative headquarters (Collectorate building) is located on the outskirts of Margao, adjoining the inter-city bus stand. It is named after Mathany Saldanha, a former minister and social activist.