ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER
ADD SOME TEXT THROUGH CUSTOMIZER

Durg District,Chhattisgarh

Durg District is situated in Chhattisgarh state of India. Until 2000 it formed part of Madhya Pradesh. District headquarters is Durg. The district covers an area of 8,537 km². The population in 1991 was 2, 397,134 of which 12.4% were members of scheduled tribes. As of 2011 it is the second most populous district of Chhattisgarh (out of 18), after Raipur.

The district is home to two important religious sites. The principal Hindu temple, the Ganga Maiyaat Jhalmala, Jain shrine of Uwasaggaharam Parshwa Teerth at Nagpura (near Durg), attract pilgrims from all over India.

The town of Bhilai is home to the Bhilai Steel Plant.

Geography

The city lies 317 metres (1,040 ft) above sea level and covers an area of 2,238 square kilometres (864 sq mi), of which 764 square kilometres (295 sq mi) is forest. (8.95% of the geographic area)

Durg District occupies the southwestern part of the Chhattisgarh plain and possesses belts of hilly country in the south, southwest and northwest, which are endowed with mineral resources and forests.

Physiography
The District occupies the southwestern part of the Upper Sheonath-Mahanadi valley and the bordering hills in the south and southwest. Physiographically, the District can be divided into two divisions, viz. the C.G. plain and the Southern plateau. The Chhattisgarh plain occupies the largest area in the District.
Rivers
The general slope of the district comes under Mahanadi river slope and is towards the north and north east and locally in some places towards east. The main rivers of Mahanadi are Sheonath, Kharun, Tandula, Kharkhara and Aamner. Sheonath is the main river of the district which originates from Panabaras Hill (625 M) and flows towards north-east. This river is the main tributary of Mahanadi River. The total length of the Sheonath river is 345 km. The length of Sheonath river in Durg district is 120 km. The main tributary of Sheonath river is Tandula river. This river originates from hills situated in the north of Bhanupratappur (District- Kanker). After covering a distance of 34 km this river joins Sukhanala. This river joins Sheonath river in the south-west of Durg at a distance of approximately 13 km at gram Changori. The total length of this river is 96.6 km. A dam is constructed during the period 1905 to 1921 at the joining point of Sukhanala and Tandula river.
History

In ancient times Durg was part of ‘Dakshina’ or ‘Southern Kosala’. In the epic Ramayana, King Dasharatha Of Uttara Kosala married Kosalaya, the princess of Dakshnia Kosala. Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang visited Southern Kosala in the 7th Century and mentions that he found an Asokan tope in the capital city, indicating that the District was included in Ashoka’s Empire. There is a fourth century reference to this tract, on the noted Allahabad Pillar Inscription of Samudragupta. He claims that two kingdoms, Kosala and Mahakantara, succumbed to his southern expedition.

However, the first specific reference with regard to the word “Durg” comes from around the eighth century through two stone inscriptions found in Durg and later deposited in the Raipur Museum. The first inscription mentions the name of a king Shiva Deva. The second inscription associates the name of Sivapura (the capital of Shivadeva) with that of Shiva Durga, indicating thereby that during Shivadeva’s reign the town and the fort were separate. The present name “Durg” is evidently a contraction of the old shivadurga, which he built. The river on whose banks stands the present town is also called “Shiva River”. With the coming of the Kalachuri dynasty of Tripuri in 1182, Durg came under their kingdom. From then on it remained under the Kalachuries, till 1742 when the Marathas deposed them.

In 1818, after the Marathas lost the IIIrd Anglo- Maratha War, the tract of Chhattisgarh passed into British hands. Caption Edmonds was the First British Officer posted in Chhattisgarh as Collector and Magistrate to carry on the administration. For the purpose of Administration Durg was attached to Bhandara District (now in Maharashtra) but in 1857 it was separated and made into a tehsil of Raipur district to which it remained attached till 1906.

In 1906 Durg was created as a separate district. The Collectorate building was built in 1907. Interestingly, cement was not used in the construction of the collectorate building, instead a mixture of limestone, gum, sand and fruit pulp was used as the binding agent. Today even though 100 years have gone by, the collectorate building stands strong as it might have been built yesterday. Soon after, 350 acres (140 ha) of land from Kasaridih Village, was acquired by the government to build official residences. It is on this land that we find today’s Civil Lines, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla Stadium, Chaupati, Company Garden, New Bus Stand, Polytecnic College and the Law College. The First Collector Of Durg was Shri S. M. Chitnabees. It is in his memory that the road from Kucheri to the Railway Station has been named “Chitnabees Road”. During the freedom struggle, Durg was a hot bed of nationalist activities. Almost all the prominent leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Pt. Jawahalal Nehru and Dr. Rajendra Prasad visited Durg during the freedom struggle. Freedom fighters like Shri Ram Prasad Deshmukh & his son Shri Laxman Singh Deshmukh from village Khamtarai (Distt. Durg) participated in struggle for freedom & sent to jail many times by Britishers.

in the mid 1990s, Shri Ramchandra Deshmukh played an important role in putting Chhattisgarh on the cultural map of India through directing plays such as Chadaini Gonda, Dewar Dera and Kari

Places to see

Hindi Bhawan is a noted ancient building now converted into a nagar nigam office.

Durg District Court building is an old building with a British architecture.

The Jain temples of Nagpura are well known for their grand construction and carvings. A naturopathy centre also runs in Nagpura where patients come from different parts of country for naturopathy treatment.

Chandi Mandir is located in the heart of Durg city and is a well known destination for pilgrims. Chandi mata is worshipped by all castes and religions of Durg and nearby places.

  • Bambleshwari Temple, in Dongargarh (60 km)
  • Barfani dham, in Rajnandgav
  • pragyagiri, in Dongargarh
  • Notable people

  • Amit Sana, Runner up in Indian Idol 1.
  • Saroj Pandey, ex-Mayor, M.L.A. and M.P
  • Harpreet Singh